Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get some Kamei lower eyelids, but before I order them I want to know exactly what kind of paint supplies I need and where I should get them from. I have a 2002 Anthracite Blue Passat and I know the paint code is LC7V. I just need to buy the spray paint and clearcoat, right?

And does Evolutionsports.com have the best price for the lower eyelids?

https://www.evolutionsports.com/productDetail.cfm?catID=76&ProductID=286

Any tips and tricks for this eyeliddin' newbie?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am definitely not paying anyone to paint these little eyelids! It's gonna be a complete DIY mod for me.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Um, WHOA. $45 for some spray paint and clearcoat from that website. Not happy here. I'm not looking to spend more than $30 to paint these plastic slivers. Come on, there's gotta be a cheaper Blue Anthracite Pearl spray paint seller somewhere!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I used the factory spray paint to do my lids...

I think they turned out really nice...perfect match!!! :thumbup:

I also used a plastic primer from an auto paint shop first...just in case!

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
Theres a local paint shop near me that will mix and put paint in a spray can for 12 bucks a can. Thats what I used to paint my eyelids and grille.
29 bucks for a spray can from that website is crazy!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
i think some people should have take the route of getting the car with the big H on the front if they are bickering over a few bucks... :roll:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
wicked a2 said:
i think some people should have take the route of getting the car with the big H on the front if they are bickering over a few bucks... :roll:
[rant]

i don't see your reasoning behind this. Just because a person wants to save a buck or two qualifies them as a Ricer because all ricers do their mods for cheap?? I think that having a body shop do a pair of eyelids for 100 bucks as oppsed to doing it yourself for $20 is not only the cheaper way, but smarter way.

i would say that if you did pay a body shop to paint those, then you're way too incompetent to try a small paint job yourself, prolly have to pay someone to do the rest of your mods anyways, but hell, at least I drive a volkswagen? :crazy:

[/rant]

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry I'm definitely not rich, in fact I don't even have a job yet, as I'm a full time med student, so I HAVE to be a smart consumer with EVERYTHING... just using my internet resources and my head to minimize debt. Of course, having this Passat and a love for modding cars doesn't help out, but everyone's gotta have a vice or obsession. How else do you think I'm surviving med school?!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I got my paint form Liberty VW. It comes in a package of 1 can paint 1 can clear coat for about $9 plus shipping........I bought many of these....and i paint most of the stock parts. The eyelids is and easy mod.....there is a thread somewhere on how to paint them.......

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
this is the method that I used and they look awesome.

http://www.b5one.com/howto/eyelidpaint.html

I too, got my paint from liberty VW

These little things are helping me keep my sanity through med school too.
Also, I know ho wit is to be on a budget, if you haven't gotten your lids yet you can check out this place for them. They are basically a kamei knockoff, but they are the ones that I picked up.

http://www.4caroption.com/pdut_detail.asp?prod_CD=AL-S03&LineID=Aerodynamics&CateID=Eyelid

I bought them from this place through ebay so they were $12 +shipping (like $6 or something)
Hell of a lot cheaper than the Kamei lids. I will be installing them this week. I will let you know if they fall apart. They do seem very study though. I would imagine They are just like the Kamei's although I have never seen the Kamei's personally.
The site says they are sold out but you can try calling them.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I got on you can try again now but like i said here is the phone info:

For ordering, please call TOLL FREE (800) 305-9997 or here directly online. Thank you!
Copyright © 2003 4CarOption, All rights reserved. Website Developed by Web Image Inc.

and here is the part number:

AL-S03

Good luck!!

I installed mine today. I'll take pics tonight aor tomorrow and post them so you can see what you are getting.
Just so you know i don't work for them I am just trying to help out a fellow cb5er and a fellow med student.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The ones from that website comes with high grade double-stick tape. I think Kamei comes with glue or cement, right? Have you had any problems or loss of stickiness with the double-stick tape?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts