Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the best (and most economical) way to lower your Passat? I only want to lower it just a small bit for looks(reducing the gap). What's involved in price of the parts and service? I'm only intending on slightly lowering it, to keep all parties happy (if you know what I mean). Can stock be lowered?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Well, a lot of us here like to take a torch and get the springs cherry hot and let the weight of the car progressively lower the springs like Joe did with his Norah, RIP. Or, I know that Scuba really dumped his car and made it look agressive by cutting a couple coils out of the spring itself. Made the ride a little less comfortable, the the look is good. OO, or there was Julianfang who wanted to make his handle better and look cooler because of his supercharger, so he went the most economical route after having his wallet emptied, and used industrial zip ties and cinched his springs down some. But the key was using the orange ones. The black ones, although color matched to his car, just didn't have the effect as you couldn't see them as much as the orange ones.

OR :lol: I could stop being a smartass, and recommend a spring strut combo to help you lower your car. Unfortunately, there's no economical way of doing it, as you'll have to replace both your struts with your springs to prevent premature wear on your stock shocks. Eibach prokit and Bilstein sports is what I went with, for a nice modest drop, but definetely noticable appearance and handling wise. I spent 350 on the sturts, and 125 for the springs, new. Did the install myself, otherwise look at about 150-200 for a quality install from a shop. Now, the H&R OE's lower the car VERY slightly, and you could actually keep the stock shocks which would lower the overall cost. But any drop smaller than the Eibachs seem not worth the trouble to me as our passats come with an enormously large wheel gap.

Look on the boards for pictures, experiences, and ideas. This topic is discussed about as much as how to add blinker fluid, hence the sarcasm and also due to the fact that I had a day from helll, and it's STILL not over 14 hours later :p so good luck, and have fun with your car!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Rice Boy said:
There's the stock 1BE springs aka. Eibachs. Those have a fancy VW brand and can be installed at the dealershit
1BE's are actually completely different than the VW branded Eibach springs. Those have a significantly less drop, and are semi-hard to come by compared to the large amount of aftermarket stuff out there. But yeah, the 1BE's would be a good choice to do as well for a small drop.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Gator, you might want to head over to the Group Buy forum and check out the GB threads for Neuspeed Springs for $155 and Bilstein/Koni shocks for $425-435.

Good luck! Most importantly, enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
712 Posts
veedubyo said:
Cheapest spring/shock combo you can get NEW is the FK hiteck. The 35/44mm will give out about a 1.5 ~ 1.7 drop

This is what I got in the front
What's the size of your wheels? I would say at first they were 18s, but looking at the tires they look 35 ratio, so it maybe 19s. I just wanna make sure :) ! Nice drop by the way. And to Gator vw, you can find FK hiteck at fknorthamerica.com.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
1BE is 20mm lowering
Eibach for B5 is 30mm lowering( usualy called "VW Sport")
H&R is 35mm lowering

And you should really stretch and change in same time shocks

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
You could go with the Neuspeed Softsports from the GB section (thanks S_Klass) and keep your stock shocks for a while longer. The drop is about an inch to an inch and quarter on my 99 1.8T. Depending upon how many miles are actually on your shocks this is a good economical way to go but be forewarned, you will wear out the stock shocks quicker.

Here's mine on 16" wheels. Not the best picture to tell from but I have about an inch and half gap now and it was almost 3 inches. Gives it a better than stock look without really effecting the comfort of the ride.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
XedoS69 said:
I was thinking abou this set...
What is the comfort level now?
How does the car drive now?
Where did you order it from?

THX
Mikolaj
These are 18x8 ROH Azzuro. Awesome wheels for a really good deal. They are not much heavier than my OEM 15" and solid as a rock. I drive my car daily on some really bad roads and these hold their own. Could'nt say the same for my previous set.
As for the whole system which include the rims, Sumitomo HTRz 225/40/18, FK Hiteck... The ride is very pretty much same as any other system i believe. My tires are very quiet and sticky.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
veedubyo
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing