Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this may seem odd to most of you who have lowered your VW's. I want to lift my B5.5 Wagon about 1.5". Mainly due to rural driving and the occasional frontal curb-shot by my wife.

What should I consider to lift the car? Will it negatively affect anything? Finally, how do I do it? Are there spacers? Do I have taller springs made?

Give me some constructive feedback here.

Thanks in advance, Keith

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Somebody here has actually done this, and posted pics. Don't recall who, someone will.

In fact, someone in the General Discussion will, I'm sure. ;)

When you figure out what you need, then bring it back to the garage for help in DIY install. :)

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Wow, that's cool - the 1BB suspension, I hadn't a clue. Learn something new every dang day. I love this place... :heart: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
645 Posts
if you lift it you should turn it into a "Country Passat" brush gaurds and everything......... that would be sooo sick......... :thumbup: :thumbup:
oh for those who may not know this is a country golf

man i wish these were released in the US

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
You can buy VW OE shock/spring kit it is called "bad roads package" or so. It will rise for 20mm clereance. From standard 150mm to 170mm

·
Registered
910 Posts
Thats' one thing I like about my mate's Citroen Xantia, which has Hydrogas suspension. You can alter it so it raises higher or lower at the turn of a lever. You also get a nice magic carpet ride, but they its a real pain to maintain. Its about £40 a corner to keep them re-gassed every so often.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the information here. I will look into all of the options you guys have given me. I will keep you all posted as to my findings and what I end-up doing.

Thanks, Keith

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Isn't lifting it going to produce camber issues in the recerse of the normal experienced with a drop? Tires tipped out at the top?

Just thinking out loud ..

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Jesstzn said:
Isn't lifting it going to produce camber issues in the recerse of the normal experienced with a drop? Tires tipped out at the top?

Just thinking out loud ..
camber is overrated . . . . toe is what you have to worry about more when considering the life of your tires. I dropped my car 2.3" and am at -1.5 of camber in the front . . . . stock it already comes with a little bit of negative camber. Also 1BB is an OEM vw suspension. I doubt they would offer it as an option if it were to cause known camber issues.

Dave

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Wow, I may be moving to CO and I love snow, if all that happened I was going to post this exact topic! I never thought someone else out there had already done it. I probably am not moving there now, but I'm glad to see there are other options.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Syncroq5 said:
Wow, I may be moving to CO and I love snow, if all that happened I was going to post this exact topic! I never thought someone else out there had already done it. I probably am not moving there now, but I'm glad to see there are other options.
lol you won't need to raise the suspension, if anything just go back to stock. . . . that will give you PLENTY of clearance. If anything, buy snowtires (just ask stealth ;) )

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I am currently stock and a long time user of nokian snow tires. This was my first winter with the B5 and it hung up quite easily, even in WI. Snow is a major reason to want more ride height, increased height and some Hakka Q's on a 4mo would be virtually unstoppable. Sure you can make it through with stock set up, by why spend half your day off in the back country shoveling out your ride if you don't have to. Or, why buy a subie if you don't have to?! Maybe the consistancy of our snow is the culprit, but I don't see adding lift to the B5 as something to frown on. In the mean time I'm still looking forward to the imporeved handling from the sofsport/koni set up I've got coming from S_Klass. ;)

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I'm not concidering the life I am thinking about the ability to turn in snow. We used to set the camber on the right front tire on an oval track car to aid in the turning but turning right was a problem. I have noticed the increase in push in the snow in mine since the drop *but* no tire wear. Increased positive camber on all 4 corners *might* be an issue in the snow.

Nuff said .. I'm not getting into another useless pissing match with you.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Jesstzn said:
I'm not concidering the life I am thinking about the ability to turn in snow. We used to set the camber on the right front tire on an oval track car to aid in the turning but turning right was a problem. I have noticed the increase in push in the snow in mine since the drop *but* no tire wear. Increased positive camber on all 4 corners *might* be an issue in the snow.

Nuff said .. I'm not getting into another useless pissing match with you.
With the increased height i'd be more worry about body roll. Seeing as how the rear beam is fixed how do you expect positive camber? As for the front, I'm not quite sure if there would be an increase in camber. The camber for mine didn't increase appreciably when I lowered it. If you have a problem with me, take it to PM. Otherwise I'm not aware of these so-called "pissing matches" you're referring to. Perhaps its all in your head :crazy:

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
These "pissing matches" (never seen one in person lol) allow others to see potential flaws in mods and upgrades. Many times in these 'arguments,' valid points are raised, and we find out whether the point raised is legit or not. It's all in fun and slightly educational, as long as people don't BS and try to make themselves 'look good' on these posts.

So any problems, take it to PM (PRIVATE Messages). Just leave it out of the threads.

Is Wayne Brady gon' have to choke a b!tch? :hmmm:

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Syncroq5 said:
I am currently stock and a long time user of nokian snow tires. This was my first winter with the B5 and it hung up quite easily, even in WI. Snow is a major reason to want more ride height, increased height and some Hakka Q's on a 4mo would be virtually unstoppable. Sure you can make it through with stock set up, by why spend half your day off in the back country shoveling out your ride if you don't have to. Or, why buy a subie if you don't have to?! Maybe the consistancy of our snow is the culprit, but I don't see adding lift to the B5 as something to frown on. In the mean time I'm still looking forward to the imporeved handling from the sofsport/koni set up I've got coming from S_Klass. ;)
This one's for you SyncrqB5 . . . . got snow?
(I think it might be a passat too, albeit B4)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
21 Participants
zuren
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing