Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manual transmission. I'm trying the bolt method where you use the axle bolt to tighten down until the CV joint pops off the axle shaft. The right driver side worked great.

I have the joint out of the hub. How do I keep the axle from turning? Obviously having someone step on the brakes doesn't work.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Well, since the left-hand side is the easiest to remove from the car, I'd just do that instead. Rotate the steering all the way to the right, remove the bolts from the inner flange, and it'll come right out. (You don't need to remove the UCA pinch bolt like the official instructions tell you to.)

·
Registered
877 Posts
I think he's talking about removing the outer CV joint from the axle. Put the new joint for the drivers' side on and reinstall the wheel. Lower the car so the weight is on the wheel. This will prevent the other axle from turning. You could also try putting the car in gear. I've always removed the axle to work on the outer joints because it's much easier to clamp it in a vise.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Got it done!

captain_video, you read my situation correctly. I was looking to separate the joint from the shaft while still on the car. At the same time, I wanted to swap the left and right joints, which is why I didn't really want to do as you suggested. But that may have worked.

Leaving it in gear, did nothing. I also tried reverse.

In the end, the solution was simple. My neighbor came home and he has a decent cordless impact wrench. Less than a minute later, it was off. Funny what you can do with the proper tools, eh?

Other than that little hiccup, this method worked great.

Both sides done!

·
Registered
877 Posts
I was also going to mention grabbing the axle with a pipe wrench to keep it from turning, but I wasn't sure if it would damage the axle using this method. You'd probably need an extra pair of hands to hold the wrench while turning the bolt, although you could probably clamp the pipe wrench in place. In any case, glad to hear you got it done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.