Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
how about telling us what's needed to put in a double din? I installed a double din eclipse tonight, but it's just bouncing around in there, I thought an install kit was only necessary for a single din... :(

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
didn't I tell you in another thread that an Eclipse didn't come with all the necessary parts to be installed correctly in a Passat? even if there was a kit available for the Passat (there's not) it woldn't help because Eclipse doesn't supply a mounting sleeve and trim ring. you have 2 options;
1) fabricate your own mounting solution and trim ring
2) buy a Kenwood or Alpine dounle din since they're the only ones that come with a mounting sleeve and trim ring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
could I theoretically finagle an alpine trim ring to fit? or am I just S.O.L. and i need to abort? if I were to fab something, what would you use? plexiglass? I could just wedge it in there with some paper or something and then make a trim ring. geez these friggin krauts!!! ;)

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
could I theoretically finagle an alpine trim ring to fit? or am I just S.O.L. and i need to abort? if I were to fab something, what would you use? plexiglass? I could just wedge it in there with some paper or something and then make a trim ring. geez these friggin krauts!!! ;)
The trim ring is the least of your worries at this point. You need a solid mount first. Without that who cares how pretty it looks? And wedging something in to keep it from moving isn't fabricating, it's rigging. Do it right or return it and get something that actually fits.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
i have a couple things to add for single-din installs (MY 2000 in my case), i almost created my own thread but this one is so fantastic i figured i might as well tag along on it.

1st, the "removal tools" are simpler, i used file folders but didn't cut them at all. there are 2 slots and you just push straight in and that disengages the clips so you can pull it out. i did one side at a time and it went pretty well. here's what you're working with, the folder pushes straight back and seems to pivot the catch in:

2nd, Best Buy didn't have Metra for this, they had Scosche. the Scosche part number for the single-din wiring harness is VW01B - "1986-up Volkswagen", i went there with the Metra numbers and they were clueless. he said he's done a lot of VW's and that's the only one he's used, it fit my single-din so at least i have that going for me, which is nice. I went to the Scosche website and they also have a VW03B - "02-up VW Harness" which seems to match the Metra double-din pictured above. also at first the guy gave me the unpowered antenna adapter...

3rd, in my case at least (SINGLE-DIN), the radio does stay on after turning the car off WITHOUT running the extra wire (S-Contact mod)! I hooked the red wire on the deck to the red wire on the harness and, although the HU does not turn on when I push the power button without the key, but it's simple to turn the key to "On" (don't even have to start the car) and then turn it back off and the radio will continue to play.

4th, in my case at least (SINGLE-DIN), the illumination/dimmer works properly WITHOUT running the extra wire! i just hooked orange on the deck to orange on the harness and it worked as i had hoped.

Thanks Darth and others for the excellent writeup.

a.s.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
one last thing:

the blue-white "k-line" wire (amp turn-on) shorts out vag-com's w/ most aftermarket harnesses (see www.ross-tech.com faqs). you mention that you did not hook it up but if this gets stickied you definitely want to flesh that part out some. my harness had a match for this so i just hooked it up. a few days later i couldn't connect w/ my vag-com to clear my o2 sensor codes and it took me a little bit to figure it out. i just cut and taped that and everything still functions as it did before, and i'm back on w/ my vag-com.

thanks,

a.s.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
odd that your harness had the "amp turn on" in the harness. on harnesses with a wire in that slot it's almost always a power antenna wire.
either way,

NEVER CONNECT A POWER ANTENNA OR AMP TURN ON LEAD FROM AN AFTERMARKET RADIO TO ANY POWER ANTENNA OR AMP TURN ON LEADS IN THE 3RD PARTY HARNESS!!!!!

A car without Monsoon doesn't even have and amp and the Monsoon amp turn on by sensing voltage on the inputs. The ONLY thing the power antenna wire from the aftermarket radio should be hooked up to is the powered antenna adapter. Period.[/color]

·
Registered
394 Posts
if i understand correctly you cannot have an aftermarket stereo to turn on without the key in the ignition? I read that some of the stereos are compatible with this. Can anyone shed some light on this matter please? (98 B5 Single din) Thanks...

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
if i understand correctly you cannot have an aftermarket stereo to turn on without the key in the ignition? I read that some of the stereos are compatible with this. Can anyone shed some light on this matter please? (98 B5 Single din) Thanks...

ONLY a Blaupunkt will be able to be turned on with the key out and ONLY if you swap the red and yellow wires in the harness.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
I still refer people to this...

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Next time I do an Sub install on a :b5: I hope to do another write-up like this for a commonly asked question. This is my quest to get into the Info-Base forum :p

thad.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
Next time I do an Sub install on a :b5: I hope to do another write-up like this for a commonly asked question. This is my quest to get into the Info-Base forum :p

thad.
this one ought to get into the info base.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How bout the amp remote turn-on for stock (h/u) and amp? I have 04 1.8t. w/monsoon. Installer said he couldnot find one on the amp under rear deck, said the power leads at amp were constant. so batt keeps getting drained i unhooked amp for now ( kenwood 9152d & 10in kicker L7 sq. ) sounds ok for now will proably opt kenwood 6019 also for proformance aswell as looks. Would very much love the feedback thanks'.

·
Registered
331 Posts
With all the new stickys showin up, I think this sweet thread should be up there with the them. This is a great motivator for noob types to tackle the job..

81 - 100 of 108 Posts