Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I was cleaning my car this weekend (summer wheels on etc...) The last step I wanted to take is to wash my car since i had some bird sh....t on my hood (this is what I thougt) its turned out to be white paint all over my hood + front bamper + side panel. I tried "go gone" but it didn't help, my neighbor suggested to take sant paper (1000,1500 or 2000) and get it off using water and than put some havy wax N3 to hide. What do u think? What should I do? Should I call my inssurance company and bring car to body shop or just spend all weekend with send paper and wax getting this thing off?
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
245 Posts
dimafp,
If it is light overspray use CLAY MAGIC. I had some work done to my other car and it had overspray on the glass and paint. I used the clay and it took all of it of without damaging the paint.

If you feel the need to colorsand with paper, use 1500-2000 grit with 3M fine cut compound, but do that as a last resort. No need to remove paint unless it has severe orange peel.

I'm pretty sure Clay Magic will work for you...it did for me. You can usually get it at Pep Boys or Autozone.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Sand paper...are you crazy! I would try everything but. First you could try Turtle Wax Bug Remover. If that doesn't work, then I'd try a cloth with a slight bit of alcohol or even a slight bit of diluted turpentine (or something like that). If that doesn't work then I'd try a clay bar. You'll probably need some kind of chemical that won't eat through the clearcoat.
I am outta ideas now. Maybe someone else, perhaps a professional detailer, will know the real answer.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You guys, Yes when I saw sent paper in my neighbours hands I was pretty shoked, but than he showed me how its done on very very small piece and it worked (I guess he used 1000 :mad: ). I deffenately prefer to try something else and leave sent paper as a last resort.
Vee-acht CLAY MAGIC - this is wax right? does it have nuber on it or something because I think I bought it yestarday N3, use 1500-2000 grit with 3M fine cut compound - how do I tell 3M compound is there? does it says on it?
leadfoot thank you for your advise as well I'll try that too if nothing works

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
dimafp,

Clay Magic is one of a number of Paint Cleaning Clays. (Griot's Garage also carries a good bar.) It is not wax. Instead, it is a clay with some fine abrasives in it.

To use it, you wash your car very well, and then spray a small section with soapy water or quick detailing spray. Then slide the bar over the freshly lubricated surface. It should take the paint overspray right off, without cutting into your paint. Much easier and safer than sandpaper.

SirWired

·
Registered
99 Posts
Try a clay bar first. It will take a while but it should work. A clay bar is not wax and is not an abrasive. It is a sticky clay like substance that you rub over the car. It works by pulling metal dust, paint overspray, tree sap, bugs, etc off of your clear coat.

I had a bunch of overspray on 1/4 of my car after my house was painted and got it all off using Clay Magic. Check out this link for more info http://www.clay-magic.com/whatisclaymagic.htm

I wouldn't use sand paper. I wet sanded a scratch on my car with 1500 grit and then 2000 grit and am not too pleased with the results. I'm sure it is fixable with a lot of elbow grease and some polishing compound though...

·
Registered
245 Posts
dimafp,
Clay Magic is a detailing clay. It works by catching the raised contaminates in the paint and pulls it out and it then stays imbedded in the clay. After kneeding it will be clean again. One bar will safely do four cars. I used to detail cars for a living and it is a great tool for cleaning paint.
1000 grit is a little strong for that application. If your compound is not strong enough to bite through the surface it will leave a slight haze in the repair area. I used to use 1500 for colorsanding to get show quality paint. About 4 hours per panel for me...I know I'm slow.

As for the clay, there are several brands. Griot, Emmonscoachworks, Mothers and Clay magic to name a few. They all do a good job, although Mothers only gives you a tiny piece of clay for the same price of the others. Clay Magic runs about $18.

Good luck with you paint...be patient and you will be pleased with the results. :thumbup:

·
Registered
303 Posts
sand paper :thumbdow:

clay bar :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a little update. I went to my friend's body shop last night and he tried to get rid of the paint with Clay Magic, well it didn't help (paint is still there :shock: ) He said that If I would paint the hood, bumper etc.. it will be in $1500 neighborhood. I guess I will have to use 3000 sandpaper with heavy wax after all.
I called insurance as well, next step is to bring the car to do appraisal, let's see what its gonna come up with. :?

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
dimafp .. if the claying didn't work and you think you have to resort to wet sanding I would seriously try something like PrepSol first. You might have raod line paint on it and it is a struggle to remove.

If its wet sanding then have a professional do it .. its not a task for the uneducated. Your going to end up with sanding haze that *NO* wax will hide. It will need to be buffed after with a compound then less aggressive polishes to bring the gloss back. Don't believe me .. try the sandpaper/wax on a spot under the hood or on a door edge.

Also one little *OOPS* with the sand paper and you go through the clear coat your in deep Doo Doo.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally got around to take pictures of the paint I was talking about. Sorry if pictures are not that great. Yes its still unfixed :crazy:
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dimafp,
Now that I see the pics I don't think Clay Magic will pull that off. That may need to be color sanded and cut with medium compound. Start with the finest paper (2000) first so that you don't remove too much clear. Only go to 1200-1500 if the ultra fine can't get it paint off. That is not overpray...it looks like a direct splash. :cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
slimebucket
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing