Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may be a dumb question, but how do I connect 4 gauge amp wiring to an amp? The wire is too thick to fit into the amp terminals. am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
what do your terminals look like? is it the one with the little allen tap screw?

when i did mine, because i am running 2 amps, i ran 4gauge to the truck, then into a power distro block. at which point i split off to 8gauge to run the 30cm to each amp.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, the terminals are the small tap screws. Could I connect a 4 gauge to an 8 gauge which will then connect the amp? I just dont see how a 4 gauge can fit in that terminals for power and ground.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
of course I've stripped the end, its still too thick for the amp terminal.

·
Registered
151 Posts
of course I've stripped the end, its still too thick for the amp terminal.
well good, didnt mean to insult you or anything but when diagnosing a problem its best to start with the stupid stuff

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
i guess you could try cutting some of the copper strand off to make it fit, i dont see how it could hurt anything, but make sure whatever you do, make sure it is very secure and doesnt jiggle around at all

·
Registered
679 Posts
What does your amp recommend for wire gauge? Regardless, Stinger makes (or they used to) a small terminal you can attach to your power wire with an Allen screw and it gives you a smaller peg to attach to your amp. Otherwise, the distribution block is a simple solution.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the help guys :thumbup: I was trying to fit a 4 gauge wire onto the amp not realizing that the biggest fitting for that kind of amp was an 8 gauge connection. I ended up scrapping that amp and purchasing a JL E class 4 channel amp which comes with a 4 gauge terminal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
Lduque
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing