Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had trouble finding a walkthrough, so I decided to post one, seeing as though changing the battery in this car is a PITA. Follow along, and you won't have to deal with radio codes, throttle body settings, etc.

What you'll need:

13mm, 10mm Socket
Rachet
Rachet Extension
Battery Charger

First off, remove the plastic cowling that sits above the battery. Pull the rubber surrounding it, and slide toward the front of the car.

Next you will need to remove the battery hold down bolt, 13mm...

Hook up a battery charger on the leads to preserve your computer's settings. And then disconnect from them from the battery.

Now, pull the battery towards the passenger side. Lift up from the front corner of the battery, and pull upwards. The battery will come out.

Next insert the new battery the opposite way you just pulled it out.

The you bolt down the battery hold down "L bracket". Reattach the leads to the terminals, and disconnect the battery charger. Put the cowling back on, and give her a test start. Purrrrrr!

Additional info:

The new battery was an Interstate MTP-91.

Dimensions:
L = 11 3/8"
W = 6 7/8"
H = 7 1/2"

Also, a spare battery can be used in place of the charger.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Somewhere in that write up, specifically when the battery is removed, it would be a good idea to clean out the crud that builds up under the battery tray. I know you guys with that cowl usually don't have that issue, but leaves and shit build up under there and that is usually how water gets into the cabin, because it blocks the drain holes.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,028 Posts
Kudos on the write up, I definately don't remember seeing one.

I don't think I would classify this as a PITA, just a bit awkward because of the location. I had mine changed out, in the dark, in less than 20 mins. And that was on an A4 which needs a hex socket on a u-joint attachment or a ball end hex key to loosen the hold-down between the battery and firewall. No charger needed and ran perfectly fine. Even all of the settings were still there except for the clock.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
15,908 Posts
also people, DO NOT let that positive lead hit anything metal!!!!
i would have wrapped it in a towel or something.

very good writeup, i will see if we can get this in the info forum.:thumbup:

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,028 Posts
also people, DO NOT let that positive lead hit anything metal!!!!
i would have wrapped it in a towel or something.
x2 I wrapped mine in a plastic bag.

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,537 Posts
sparks for one thing, but you are shorting the positive to the ground and thats never good for electronics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.