Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owners manual suggests taking it to the dealership to change the bulbs. I'd prefer to do it myself to save the $$. Is there a writeup on how to do this?

·
Registered
696 Posts
there might be but i can tell you really quickly how to change your fogs.
1. pull off the plastic covers from the lower section of your bumper, so that just the fogs are left in.
2. unscrew the screws (3 i think, two on top, one on bottom)
3.gently pull out the entire fog housing, and use a flathead screwdriver to unhook the light harness from the side of the housing.
4. with the housing in hand, (projector facing down), turn top end counter clockwise to get to bulb
5. simply squeeze the bulb clips to that the bulb is free
6. un-do the wire on the bulb, and replace with a new one
7. reverse all steps to re-install

**this should take about 10min for both fogs, so its a really easy swap. if you have questions, ask, good luck :wink:

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
speedracer329 said:
**this should take about 10min for both fogs, so its a really easy swap. if you have questions, ask, good luck :wink:
i just wanted to note that it might take 10 minutes if you just yank stuff out and cram it all back in and have done it a couple times before, but it took me more like an hour the first time, being careful and trying to make sure the grills got back in right.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The grill can be a real pain putting it back in....I just got done fixing a burned out bulb. For some reason, the lips weren't lining up around the bottom of the passenger side.

TIP: To get the grills out, you'll need to use both hands to compress the grill (making sure to clamp at the top and bottom lines).

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just did this yesterday; one of my yellows burned out, so I put some silverstars in just to hold me over. Very easy, even for me. 15 mins, tops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
PassatCCC
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing