Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my car's lowered, my foglights are pointing down so much that they're useless. I need to adjust them! It's a hex key that I need, right? First of all, I can't tell what size I need. Secondly, the standard length hex key isn't long enough that I can turn it freely. :mad:

What's the secret?

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Once the plastic grill is removed, look for a large hex screw at the base of the fog lamp housing. This hex nut adjusts the up/down position.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
vuvision said:
Once the plastic grill is removed, look for a large hex screw at the base of the fog lamp housing. This hex nut adjusts the up/down position.

Good luck
Taht preety much sums it up. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
These fog light aiming instructions are suggestions taken from common practice and the Society of Automotive Engineers (S.A.E.) standard J583. Some modifications to these instructions may be necessary to minimize glare.

Park the vehicle 25 feet from a wall on a level surface. Measure the distance between the center of the auxiliary light and the ground. Place a horizontal mark on the wall at that height.

Visual aim is made with the top of the fog light beam 4 inches below the lamp center at 25 feet with the lamp facing straight forward.

Sorry, I don't remember where did I get it from.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have checked on my 2003. If you look closer, you can find that there is a small hole on the lower grille to the inner side of each fog light. If you have a screwdriver long enough, you can adust the aiming without pulling out any of the lower grille.

Hope this will save you some time on this.

·
Registered
175 Posts
TO03Passat1.8Tip said:
I have checked on my 2003. If you look closer, you can find that there is a small hole on the lower grille to the inner side of each fog light. If you have a screwdriver long enough, you can adust the aiming without pulling out any of the lower grille.

Hope this will save you some time on this.
Whoa...finally got around to trying this.

Grills don't need to come out - the small adjusting holes are the trick on my 2004. Use a regular old Torx driver - not even extra long. I parking in front of my garage door and turned them up about 2 turns - much higher but they're not searching for worms any more...

Very easy.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
:banghead:

Unbelievable.....after owning this car for 4 years, I JUST recently realized I can adjust them up/down! Took a #20 torx and it allowed me to actually get my yellow fogs to throw their light out about 15 more feet than what I was used too.....ahhh the simple things make me happy.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I did not know that the fogs were adjustable until just now either...I love PW, I learn something new about my car almost everytime I browse...
Likewise... so I'll spare the hard time I was going to give swcrow17 for bringing a thread back from the dead after 4 years. :D

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
Likewise... so I'll spare the hard time I was going to give swcrow17 for bringing a thread back from the dead after 4 years. :D
I was hesitant to reply to this for that specific reason too....4 years is a long time to bring something back :lol:. I KNEW someone was going to give me a rash of crap too, but evidently, it's not really well known they can be adjusted.....w00t!

:poke: I'm just curious why Scott was so obviously bored that he had TIME to bring back an 4 year dead thread... :lol:
When I had my fogs out for complete bumper replacement, I noticed that the fogs had some odd thing coming out at an angle on the sides. After inspecting, it clicked. Research on PW confirmed and once everything was put back together, I had to post it up....someone else out there had to be unaware as well.........I was right
:barmy:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.