Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How should rain sensing wipers work? My dealer doesn’t have a clue.
When they were working they would only operate when there was water on the window and the sensitivity could be adjusted via the small lever on the wiper stalk. If they were switched on when the screen was dry they would wipe once and then stay off until water hit the window.
After they stopped working I took it to the dealer who, surprise, has proved to be unbelievably incompetent but after the fourth visit they work but nothing like the way they did.
I now have variable intermitent wipe adjustable via the lever on the stalk but the rain sensor also seems to operate but there is no control over it. The wipers will now work on a completely dry screen with the variable intermittent function.
Which is correct if either?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The first one is what my car does, and seems to be correct acording to the manual, I would start looking for a new dealership.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any idea what the reset button is underneath the stalk? Also, does anyone know how to toggle mpg/air temp display?

I just bought a 1999 Passat Wagon 1.8T from a local dealer. No jack and no owners manual. Gotta find both...soon. Got a bid on a manual on Ebay right now. Where would one go about finding a jack? I was thinking a junkyard or straight to the VW dealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the reset button for me is how you reset the avg. mpg, miles driven, time, avg. mph. You have 2 views and if you press and release the reset button, it switches between the 2. If you hold the reset switch for 2 seconds, it will reset the above mentioned data. There should be up and down arrows on the end of your wiper stalk to change the view between the above mentioned data.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The reset button is used to reset the trip computer settings for the "2" view. This is a manually reset computer (I reset with each fillup, or you can use it for a long trip, etc). The "1" view is automagically reset by the computer after the car has been off for at least 2 hours. Press the button breifly to switch between 1 and 2. While in "2", press and hold the reset button to "zero out" the data. On the end of the arm there is a "rocker" type button that you can press up or down. This will toggle between data displays (MPG, TIME, AVE SPEED, etc.).

The wipers should work as you first described. When on intermittent the rain sensor is used which detects water on the windshield. The adjustments are for sensitivity. It should not wipe a dry windshield in this setting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh! you mean the rocker switch right there in front of my eyes?!

I guess I didn't see it because of the way I have the steering wheel adjusted. I've got to get a manual!

I really appreciate the responses. I know I'll be addicted to this site in no time...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts