Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How should I clean grease on the bottom of my car? It's on the paint and it doesn't come off with a regular wash. Should I wash then use bug/tar remover, then clay bar?
Thanks-Ryan

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Curry said:
mineral spirits? you mean the expensive carbonated shity water? :???:
Nooooooooo... Household paint solvent used for oil based paints .. bout $3 gal in the hardware paint section ..

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Bug and tar remover should be fine. If it's bad then you should plan on doing a whole day of detailing on your baby. I personally haven't used mineral spirits but maybe it works. I've used bug and tar remover and I know that works . Anyway, strip your wax coat by washing the car with some Dawn dish detergent, then use the bug and tar remover. I would make a point of washing the area right after you use the stuff and then put a good coat of wax on after.

·
4,974 Posts
Most of the bug and tar remover is mineral spirits. Open both cans and sniff.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
NO DAWN !!!!. it is very abrasive :mad: . It leave micro sratches that will show as swirls eventually after a few years. It does go thru grease nice and good but there is a reason for that :p . Go ahead and use goo gone type thing or the mineral spirit with a rag, then wash and wax like SeattleReign said :thumbup: . Anything that cut thru grease cut thru Wax as well, good luck bro :thumbup: .

·
4,974 Posts
RAH said:
NO DAWN !!!!. it is very abrasive .
I am still trying to figure out where you get this info from .. Dawn is not mechanically abrasive .. It has a high akaline content soap thus very strong and will cut wax and oils. It will not swirl paint no more than car soap will. Continuous use is not good for the paint as it will dry some of the oils out in it same effect as on the rubber trim.. BUT it is not mechanically abrasive.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Curry said:
How should I clean grease on the bottom of my car? It's on the paint and it doesn't come off with a regular wash. Should I wash then use bug/tar remover, then clay bar?
Thanks-Ryan
Goof Off also works great for such task. You can find it from home depot or auto parts shop.

Any known goo cleaning solvent will work fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
SeattleReign
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing