Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Fore!
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get under my car while its on jackstands with the engine running?

I have this rattle which is getting worse. I would propose jacking the front end up onto two jack stands, then chocking the rear wheels and applying the parking brake. Start the engine and leave it in neutral, then wedge something between the seat and the steering wheel to get the rpms around 1500 where the noise starts, then put on gloves and glasses and get under (with the belly pan already off) and see if I can feel or hear where the noise is coming from.

What I really need is to get it on a hydraulic lift to do it right, but I wont be able to take it anywhere for about 2 weeks. I would love to dig one of those pits you can drive the car over right into my garage, if I had a garage...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Life insurance paid up :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would say no, My best friend lost his best friend last year doing the same thing, unfortunately, sometimes freaky unexplained things happen like Jackstands shifting out from under cars. Why would you want to be under it while its running anyways?

·
Registered
254 Posts
A good set of ramps would probably be a safer option.

·
Fore!
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I hear what you are saying. That's why I asked. I got under it with ramps without the engine running, but it is really tight under there since I lowered the car, so I didn't want to get under with the engine running with everything right in my face. I thought that on stands I could get it up a little higher and away from my face.

I wanted to do this to try to locate the origin of the rattle I have been hearing. I am worried it could be the water pump, which could blow the timing belt (even though I only have 19K miles).

Even though I do have great life insurance, I will not do it. Thanks!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've done it before looking for rattles etc. Just make sure you have the stands secure, rear tires blocked. I also have a jack under the car sort of next to me figuring if all else fails the jack might hold it up long to get out. :crazy:

Oh yea it's REALLY loud under there when you are under a diesel TDI running. :lol:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Ramps... $25, Friend to press on the pedal... 2 beers, keeping your head from getting squashed like a pancake... PRICELESS. :D

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
VaRiX said:
A good set of ramps would probably be a safer option.
this is what i was thinking also. maybe if it's still too low, find some bricks or wood scraps that could raise the ramps in the back of them. i've had to do this before and works fine. i wouldn't trust stands at all though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You could do it the safe way like the oldtimers used to do when looking for pings, rattles, and squeeks. My Grandpa would always take a piece of 1 inch hose or garden hose and put it to his ear, then he would move the hose to the point were he thought the sound was coming from, he was never wrong. He could tell you if you exhaust lifters were sticking on cylinder 4.....this is if they actually were. Its a really good tool believe it or not. Used it to find out were my pesky exhaust leek was on my old truck, very little exhaust leak..... Try it out. And no, i'm not crazy!

·
Fore!
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Passaton18s said:
You could do it the safe way like the oldtimers used to do when looking for pings, rattles, and squeeks. My Grandpa would always take a piece of 1 inch hose or garden hose and put it to his ear, then he would move the hose to the point were he thought the sound was coming from, he was never wrong. He could tell you if you exhaust lifters were sticking on cylinder 4.....this is if they actually were. Its a really good tool believe it or not. Used it to find out were my pesky exhaust leek was on my old truck, very little exhaust leak..... Try it out. And no, i'm not crazy!
THAT is an awesome idea which I will try!

I'm not so hot on putting wood or blocks under the ramps; that just give you another potential failure point.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Barnyard Mechanics 101

Raise up the entire car at all 4 corners if you want to be extra safe Using jackstands ONLY. Forget this crap about ramps. I can see someone using ramps and blocks and someone accidentially popping the clutch and the car lurches off the ramps. If you have the car up in the air with jackstands the wheels cant touch anything to create movement or a safety issue as long as they are positioned at proper points under the car. Hell you can even put it in gear and let the wheels spin while using jackstands, just be careful to not get near the wheel while underneath it.

my 2 cents
8)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Raise up the entire car at all 4 corners if you want to be extra safe Using jackstands ONLY. Forget this crap about ramps. I can see someone using ramps and blocks and someone accidentially popping the clutch and the car lurches off the ramps. If you have the car up in the air with jackstands the wheels cant touch anything to create movement or a safety issue as long as they are positioned at proper points under the car. Hell you can even put it in gear and let the wheels spin while using jackstands, just be careful to not get near the wheel while underneath it.
:shock: Don't do this. Please.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You need: chains, a rock, a tree, and a truck,
park passat under a tree.
Borrow truck.
roll down windows on passat and put the chains through.
throw chains over a branch of the tree, hook other side to truck hitch.
drive truck 5 ft.
start engine. put rock on accelerator of passat.
Viola !

(One time I had to change a rear tire tire on my 54. But with the hydraulics it was fully dumped so I couldnt get the wheel off, even with it jacked up. So I had to put the rear on jack stands and hit the switch.......
I looked like the guy on oceans eleven before he set off the pinch...with one hand on the switch and one hand on my nuts. It was scary. :nervous:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I'd say a combination of all of the above would be the best: ramps supported by jackstands on bricks with a chain thru your windows attached to a tree. ;)

Either that or dig a pit in your driveway. :lol:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts