Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is my first post here so be gentle with me

Had VW fixed a lot of the reliability problems by 2001? I'm looking at one of these cars as a daily commuter and plan to keep it for a few years. I expect to be putting 100k miles or so on it. I've heard some bad things and I can't really afford to be without my car if it's being repaired.. can anyone set my mind at rest?

<![CDATA[Hi guys, this is my first post here so be gentle with me

Had VW fixed a lot of the reliability problems by 2001? I'm looking at one of these cars as a daily commuter and plan to keep it for a few years. I expect to be putting 100k miles or so on it. I've heard some bad things and I can't really afford to be without my car if it's being repaired.. can anyone set my mind at rest?

[Modified by JL, 9:52 AM 12/18/2002]

·
Registered
241 Posts
Re: How reliable will a 2001 PD130 be? (JL)

Welcome to the fold. You will read a lot about Passats on this forum , but remember two things. Firstly there are an awful lot of Vw's in circulation , and secondly a lot of those on this forum are car nuts that are a little more picky than the normal driver when it comes to expectations of cars. Personally I've had none of the coilpack , odd tyre wear , or reliability issues mentioned by others on this forum and my 1.8T has now just passed the 50K mark. The VW diesels are revered in the motoring world as some , if not the best diesels in their class so i'd have no issues with reliability from ownership of one. Just don't expect that your VW will be perfect and a cheaper version of a Rolls Royce , Mercedes or BMW. At the end of the day it's just a mode of transport that's mass produced , never sold as a performance car , just a practical mode of transport with a reasonable build quality. I'd buy another VW or Audi but in the quattro version with diesel engine ,mainly because I don't like the crude ride with a solid beam axle at the rear and as a saloon family car I prefer a more relaxed drive. Just my personal opinion so don't read too much into it.

·
Registered
179 Posts

They don't sell diesel B5 Passats in Canada probably not in USA either. Something about our diesel fuel being dirty. Too bad! We do get the Jetta(Borra) & Golf in the 1.9L diesel.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts

One thing you should be keenly aware of prior to purchasing a TDI PD130 is the cost of a timing belt change. The TDI is an interference engine; severe engine damage results from a broken timing belt. I believe the change interval for TDI timing belts is something like every 80.000 Km (50K miles).

Be sure to factor this into cost of ownership...it's not something you want to skip.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Re: How reliable will a 2001 PD130 be? (Electron Man)

unique to the the PD??? ummmm...how about the 1.8T...many, many engines are interference engines.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Re: How reliable will a 2001 PD130 be? (VW'R'US)

Right, but the 1.8T doesn't require such frequent t-belt changes.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Re: How reliable will a 2001 PD130 be? (Macabre)

Oh no, not again.

S.F.T.A.O.T.B.M.D.

Society For The Abolishment Of The Timing Belt Maintenance Discussion

<![CDATA[Oh no, not again.

S.F.T.A.O.T.B.M.D.

Society For The Abolishment Of The Timing Belt Maintenance Discussion

[Modified by a4passata6, 8:46 PM 12/18/2002]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: How reliable will a 2001 PD130 be? (a4passata6)

Cheers for the reply guys... have started a new timing belt thread.

·
Registered
428 Posts

Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the folks on this board modify their cars and drive them hard. One would expect this to somewhat lower reliability.

·
Registered
186 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Had VW fixed a lot of the reliability problems by 2001? I'm looking at one of these cars as a daily commuter and plan to keep it for a few years. I expect to be putting 100k miles or so on it. I've heard some bad things and I can't really afford to be without my car if it's being repaired.. can anyone set my mind at rest?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What exactly have you heard? The only thing about "horror-stories" is that all the "sunshine-stories" doesn't come out... I have driven 40000km with 130PD (30K in my former car, 10 in my current), and I've had no "reliability problems" so far. Changed a couple of light bulbs, but that's it. The TDI engines are proven technology (been in the market since 99), and there shouldn't be any more (or less, for that matter...) problems with a TDI than anything else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts