Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for me to move along. I need a bigger baby hauler. My loyal Passat may be for sale.

Anyway, it's a 2001 GLS sedan V6 manual 5 speed VW Swing wheels great tires Monsoon 6 CD changer in trunk CLEAN color candy white over black/charcoal cloth 47k SoCal freeway miles. Just had 40K service & rear break pads, new engine temp sending unit and break fluid replacement. Clean bill of health from VW of Valencia.
I have a Zender 3 piece spoiler unpainted/uninstalled/still in sealed box I would throw in if the buyer wanted it

www.kbb.com says
Retail: $17,215 Wholesale: $12,725

So I ask $15,500, leave some room to negotiate?

Am I close ? Most of the listings on www.autotrader.com and www.cars.com are by dealers and I'd be 10% under them.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
It is good to be under the dealers prices, most people feel more comfortable buying a used car from and established dealer than from an individual.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I actually sold my wife's 1 year old Jetta for close to RETAIL VALUE (as indicated on KBB.com)..here are a few tips:

I notice your in CA, put the car on AUTOTRADER.com and Cars.com, with an EXCELLENT description and the most pictures possible. Most VW people are internet savy and will first check online sites when looking for a used car. The person that actually ended up buying the car from me came down from OC to San Diego. She said the only reason was the description and all the photos. The better both of these are, the more people will look at your car online, which will lead to calls and appointments to look at it.

In the end your car is only truly worth what someone will pay for it. While KBB.com and Edmunds are good GUIDES, they are just guides. Is your car a hard to find and high in demand? Look for a niche buyer? Don't rush into selling it.

About the price, My opinion is DON'T leave room to negotiate. You will only alienate the people looking for a good deal, and will cheapen YOUR product. Put it up for sale and stick to your price (as long as it is reasonable)

--Drew

·
Registered
418 Posts
This is how i've done it. I scan through eBay to determine what a comparible car is going for. And they i use that as a base.

My theory is this. If by the time i find out about the car, i'm assuming dedicated car nuts would have already noticed it before me. So if they didn't buy the car, it's being sold for to much.

I've done this a few times with 2 cars and a motorcycle.

I love it when people list something and say, "the book value is bla bla bla". That doesn't mean crap. What you ask for a car, and what someone is going to spend is two completely different things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts