Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

How much transmission fluid do I need?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Emry 
#1 ·
I am swapping differentials in my 03 Passat 1.8T FWD and was wondering how much fluid I need to put in once reassembled. Need this answered quick. Thanks

#4 ·
If you are swapping differentials you need to know how to set the lash on the gears. If you don't know how to do that, there is no point to filling the differential when you are done. If you are swapping the trans, fill it before installation, on the ground level, until it is just below the fill plug (use your finger to check the level).

The 5sp manual should hold just over 2L of gear oil, not trans fluid.

#5 ·
From: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/volkswagen-passat-b5-discussion/476962-output-flange-play.html
It is much better to keep one issue in one thread.
Hello, as I finished closing up my transmission today after swapping differentials, I noticed that the output flanges for the axles have a little bit of play to them. Not much when pushing in an out, but in a orbital motion (looking at the transmisssion from where the axle would be), it moves around a little bit (about 1mm or so). Is this normal, and what is the amount of play that is "within spec"?

Thanks
You wouldn't be asking this question if you knew how to set up the diff.
I suggest you replace the whole transmission or take it to someone who knows how to set it up properly.

#6 ·
From: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/volkswagen-passat-b5-discussion/476962-output-flange-play.html
It is much better to keep one issue in one thread.

You wouldn't be asking this question if you knew how to set up the diff.
I suggest you replace the whole transmission or take it to someone who knows how to set it up properly.
Damn bro, thanks for the help, but idk why you're so salty. lol

I drained the old fluid, pulled the flanges and diff cover off, then pulled the open diff out. I know you have to swap the ring gears since they were meant to be used with the pinion they came on, so I did that as well.

Turns out the transmission that I bought that included the LSD had a different differential cover. The spot where the needle bearings ride on on the diff cover had a larger diameter by about 3mm. So consequently, when I swapped over the LSD to the new transmission I bought, there was only play because I needed to use the diff cover from the other trans. Thanks for the help though bud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.