Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ummm...I'm not sure what they're actually called, but they're the wheels that came on the car from the factory. Its an 01.5 GLX if that helps.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you were out this way (Cali), they should only be $35 each or so... make sure you shop them around a bit...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd prefer powder coated, but money is kind of an issue. I was only thinking of doing this to kinda tide me over until I can afford new wheels, and then I planned on using the factory wheels in the winter time, maybe get some dedicated snow tires for them.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
hateshondas said:
can you powder coat a chrome rim in a silver color-esque if theyre scratched/scuffed
Yes you can. The only catch is they will have to be sand or bead blasted before you can have them powder coated, it's the only way to get the best application. Mackman - Pay the extra amount and get the job done right, you don't want a cheap paint job because you'll only get what you pay for and the paint won't stick for long.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Yeah, painted wheels are generally really cheap looking. I have never seen a good 'painted' (that wasn't orignally from the manufacturer). I had a set of SSR competitions powdercoated in a grainy flat black on the spokes only (rim left in silver), and it looked really good. Pricing is about $50 per wheel at the place I went to 'high-tech coatings' in Anaheim/OC.

It's also a cool thing to do if your wheel gets scratched up, and you want to change the color at the same time. The powdercoat usually does a good job of filling up dings and scratches, and is generally cheaper than wheel repair (which is like $100 per wheel).

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Cool. I'm bringing this back frm the dead, but...

How much would it be to powdercoat OZ Supeleggera's? Can they get the color from the factory? And I want the lip to stay silver, is that harder and therefore more expensive?

Thanks.

Here:

I want this:

to look like this:

·
Registered
153 Posts
If i had known powder coating was that cheap ... i wouldnt be busting my balls with this application doing it myself... I think its a pain in the ass. $50 a wheel!!!??? I would ve guessed it to be expensive. So i chose to do it myself

·
Registered
439 Posts
I had mine done at $70 per wheel, that included prep. My understanding however is that masking powdercoat (specifically you lip) is difficult because of the process itself. Because the material they spray is electrically charged it is hard to keep it from working itself under the masking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts