Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Ok beat me later, but I searched for 20 minutes and couldn't find any direct hits to match although I recall seeing threads on this a few months ago when I got my Passat. :oops:

I have a 2004 1.8T coming on 5K miles. How much oil should they use? Should I start with synthetic now or should I wait until ??? miles?

TIA,
Phil

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
as understand it you can go to synthtic at any time

( you can also go back at any time with no ill effect)

i belive the 1.8t takes something like 5.7 q ( dont hold me to that i have a v6)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
crash893 said:
as understand it you can go to synthtic at any time

( you can also go back at any time with no ill effect)

i belive the 1.8t takes something like 5.7 q ( dont hold me to that i have a v6)
I think its more like 4 qts, but I have a V6 too.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Darin45 said:
it's 4...
3.9 to be exact. The manual states something like 4.2 or 4.3, but all the oil is never fully drained (it would take hours for it to drain from all the engine components and pan). There is a TSB on this as well.

Different people have different opinions about when to go synthetic. I waited until 15,000 miles to make sure everything was "seated" properly. Now at 31k and running great. Others change the original oil out at 1,000 miles and go synthetic right away.

And yes, definitely change it at 5,000 miles and at least every 5,000 there after (even if using synthetic). Turbo engines abuse oil more than regular engines.

I give my dealership 4 quarts of Valvoline SynPower 5w-40 :thumbup: when I go in for scheduled service.

-Craig

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Definitely start with a smaller amount and then top it off. I would start with 3.9 like outrun said or a bit less. You have a bigger filter than previous model years, so you will be able to do more than the 3.7 quarts I do.

Also, make sure your car wasn't filled with synthetic from the start. I had heard that they spec synthetic now, but i am not sure. If you started with dino, I would do dino for awhile longer and push it harder. Complete the break in and then switch to synthetic.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
try this link: http://www.stratuswave.net/~dubtech/2004.pdf

Page 1 is for a '04 Golf, but it is the 1.8T. If your car came with synth, definitely stay with it. Page 4 gets to the Passat, but it is an '03.

Also, don't go by the amount of oil they specify for the Golf. 4.8 quarts would way overfill a Passat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
While on this subject, 3.9 QTS sounds correct for the 1.8T. No matter what the spec says, fill it, run it, recheck it.

For the V6 ers out there, I filled up to the manual specs (5.7 QTS.) and that did not get me to the hash marks. I had to use 6.5 QTS to get into the safe range. Anyone else have this experience?

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
PhilH said:
I have a 2004 1.8T coming on 5K miles. How much oil should they use? Should I start with synthetic now or should I wait until ??? miles?
I don't know if the owner's manual still recommends the 5w-40 grade of oil. But if it does and that's what you use, you'll be using synthetic since no one manufactures dino in that grade. I went with the manual's recommendation and am using Valvoline Synpower and have done so since the first change at 4,200 miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts