Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much more HP do you get with a "premium" air filter, like K&N, with a non-chipped (stock) engine? And if your engine is chipped?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I'd say none. Stock cold air intake setup is pretty darn efficient, and most people say that the "oil hazard" of the K&N with our MAF makes it that much less desiring.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Bleser said:
I'd say none. Stock cold air intake setup is pretty darn efficient, and most people say that the "oil hazard" of the K&N with our makes it that much less desiring.
Oil Hazard? I have never read about any hazard with using a K&N. Perhaps if you over oil the filter it may be bad... but that is the only reason I could think of.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is the possibility that a K&N may flow more air but at what cost...

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e34/4704207-1.html[url] In the past I used them on a Prelude, 944, and SHO - I will not be using them anymore because the small gains do not justify even a small risk. Scott

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I just ordered a K&N for mine also! Dont they come preoiled? It was hard as hell trying to get the old filter out to clean my slush screen. It was filled up with bugs. Anyone know the easiest way to get the whole top of the box off :???: I was only able to undo the tabs and lift it about 2inches,enough to slide out the old filter. It is a 2002 passat 1.8t. Pics are a plus

·
Registered
150 Posts
peppy said:
I just ordered a K&N for mine also! Dont they come preoiled? It was hard as hell trying to get the old filter out to clean my slush screen. It was filled up with bugs. Anyone know the easiest way to get the whole top of the box off :???: I was only able to undo the tabs and lift it about 2inches,enough to slide out the old filter. It is a 2002 passat 1.8t. Pics are a plus
You have to disconnect all the electrical connectors on top of the box and the air duct

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If getting a PREMIUM filter doesn't do much for the performance, then why does Wetterauer try to sell a $50 air filter with their ECU chips?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
gnosis said:
If getting a PREMIUM filter doesn't do much for the performance, then why does Wetterauer try to sell a $50 air filter with their ECU chips?
Because people will pay for it? 8) :wink:

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Sometimes I have to shake my head at the back-and-forth on this issue.

A K&N filter has improved the throttle response on every vehicle I have ever owned, including my B5. Additional HP? There is definitely a removal of air restriction, evidenced by the improved response. How much HP? Maybe none, at steady-state. But under acceleration, where the volume of air into your engine is constantly increasing, there would have to be some HP benefit. I don't care how much or how little. The improved throttle response is worth $50 to me.

And the "oil-in-the-MAFS" thing? - I have never had a problem. Lots of people have never had problems. Some people have had problems. :???: Go figure...

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah, so then the most valid reason why a chipping company would recommend a premium air filter is to improve response time (decrease turbo lag) on our newly chipped engines?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I agreee with Rusty. I am not sure what scientific method the guy above did to come up with a net loss of -2 to -4 HP with the K&N. I have had mine in for about 40K now and I am at 120,000 with no engine or MAF sensor problems. Less air restriction = more easily accessable air available to combust. At what cost to engine life? I don't know. Oil impregnated cotton gauge is a very good filter. Worth 50 bucks for me as I don't have to keep replacing the paper filter time after time. Just wash and reoil. Most people that have problems with K&N I think are people who oil the brand new filter and slap it in or over oil during a service on it. LIGHTLY COVER WITH OIL. LIGHTLY! NO DRIPS and DON"T OIL A NEW FILTER, IT COMES PRE OILED :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
The heck with the air filter -- the "slush filter" screen is a greater impediment to airflow if left uncleaned!

Just looked at mine last weekend (2002 w/ 1.8T @ 29k miles) - that screen was almost completely gunked up. How could a change in the air filter result in an improvement if the dang slushee filter does not let much air through in the first place?

Getting the top of the air cleaner off is tough - was unable to get it cleanly off despite following the useful info posted at http://www.tobio.info/passat/howtos/passat_air_filter.html ...

Bottom line - check & clean that slush filter *frequently* if you want your car to breathe better!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts