Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WAS CUSIOUR HOW MUCH EVERYONE HAS DUMPED INTO THERE CAR AND THE PRICE THAT THEY COULD ACTUALLY GET FOR IT. I BOUGHT MY CAR IN MAY 02 FOR 22K AND NOW IT IS LISTED IN KBB FOR 16K... AND I AM SEEING THEM SELL FOR 15K.

THE REASON I WENT WITH PASSAT OVER AUDI OA4 IS A ITS CHEAPER AND FOR HOW MUCH A AUDI IS I WOULD RATHER PUT MONEY INTO SOMETHING TO HIT THAT PRICE POINT BUT HAVE EVERYTHING I WANT. MEANWHILE THE CAR IS PAID OFF BUT ITS A REALLY TOUGH DECISION.

DO YOU KEEP AND HAVE IT GO DOWN EVEN MORE OR DUMP IT NOW AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS... MAYBE HOLDING ON TO IT FOR 10 YEARS WHO KNOWS.....

EITHER WAY CARS ARE THE BIGGEST POCKET EATING MONSTER ALIVE FOR THE TRUE ENTHUSIAST. WHO CARES HOW MUCH AS LONG AS WE GET WHAT WE WANT.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Exactly, who cares how much it depreciated, they all do.
Buy a 65 Mustang if you want to drive an "inverstment".

Oh yeah, CAPS LOCK IS NOT NECCESSARY!
:p

·
Registered
254 Posts

You will almost never be able to get out of your car what you put into it in mods and upgrades. The general public wants a cookie-cutter stock car they can depend on and view cars with modifications as 'ragged out' and abused.

In a rare instance, you may be able to sell your car for its new value including mods if it was a very successfull show car or has been in movies (like FATF).

I bought my B5 from a friend for just about what KBB suggests... and it came with KW V2's, K04, FMIC, GIAC, Bailey DV, NS Exhaust, NS DP, O-Bar Rear Sway, Slotted Brembos all around and Mintex RedBox pads.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

I don't think Passat's depreciate that much actually from what I've read.

--picture with respect to Maddox of maddox.xmission.com--

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Right now you are seeing faster depreciation than in the past. The car market is slow which drops the prices of used cars. You combine that with incentives VW was offering (money and low interest) and that made a new car more affordable and lower out of pocket price which cause the used market to drop in a hope to still sells those used cars at a now lowered margain.

You can blame the economy and VW for all those incentives, but that is why the resale is down.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
This is probably going to be my first car i'm going to drive to it's grave.

The B5 will STILL look classy in 10 years, and it will be a good comuter car when i've long *upgraded* to bigger and better things. Only 40 payments to go! YAY!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Spanky McGee said:
This is probably going to be my first car i'm going to drive to it's grave.

The B5 will STILL look classy in 10 years, and it will be a good comuter car when i've long *upgraded* to bigger and better things. Only 40 payments to go! YAY!

besides the fact that my car will die before i sell it, i gave up on resale value when i started modding it. the general public will not buy a modded car, and people who want a modded car will most likely not buy your modded car for much more than a stock car would be worth, but they will buy it.

but again, i will drive my car until i can not afford to fix it anymore. basically until the engine dies, or the chasy just falls apart from years and years of a stiffer suspension, and many many more mods to come

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I got mine for half edmunds.com price from indep. dealer (noone around here wants a four door with a standard tranny) and could still sell it for about a $3k profit.
jeffsu350 said:
besides the fact that my car will die before i sell it, i will drive my car until i can not afford to fix it anymore. basically until the engine dies, or the chasy just falls apart from years and years of a stiffer suspension, and many many more mods to come
hell yeah!

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
If you want resale value buy a Camry or a Accord. Traditionally, the depreciation on these cars is significantly less than the other cars in the same group ie Passat, Mazda 6, Mitsu Galant etc.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
00Psst said:
If you want resale value buy a Camry or a Accord. Traditionally, the depreciation on these cars is significantly less than the other cars in the same group ie Passat, Mazda 6, Mitsu Galant etc.
Man, I guess:

Resale Value = No personality

Although

No Resale Value Doesn't Automaticly mean the cars got Personality.

My Ex's Grandparents traded in a 10 year old camary with average miles on it, and they got 8K!!!! :weirdo:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Plummitttttt!

Did anyone notice a dramatic price drop on KBB in the last 6 months? I remember checking my 2000 GLS 1.8T for trade in value about 5 months ago and now it's about 2K less... huh what?!!

Please don't tell me I'm losing my mind. I could have sworn the values on KBB were much higher just a few months back.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It may also be that the public may not be specifically interested in the particular mods an individual has done (not just mods in general). The same way that some people may only want a particular color.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Re: Plummitttttt!

boozymcdrinky said:
Did anyone notice a dramatic price drop on KBB in the last 6 months? I remember checking my 2000 GLS 1.8T for trade in value about 5 months ago and now it's about 2K less... huh what?!!

Please don't tell me I'm losing my mind. I could have sworn the values on KBB were much higher just a few months back.
I see the same issue.... :suspicio:

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
the depreciation was why i bought a used Passat. it saved me quite a bit of money, and with the CPO warranty, it's close to as good as buying it new. :)

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
Well so far I owe around 5k for it and blue book said 11,000. I would be happy for nine or ten, But I would list it as 12k or best offer. either way deppreciation not bad at all.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
For common cars like the Passat, the minute you drive a $22,000 car off the lot, it's worth thousands less. I got my 1998 Passat used for $19,300 in 1999 from a dealer. It had 9000 miles then and has 84,000 now. The KBB price for it today is $9,380.

It depends a great deal on how much you think you're going to drive. KBB figured an average mileage for my car is 73,000 miles. With 73,000 miles, my car would be worth $10,100.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts