Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can count a few items:

1. $100 at least for turn signal relay-I paid $26 an installed it last night
2. $100 at least for coolant temperature sensor-I think it was like $8 and installed it in about 15 minutes
3. $100 or probably more for headlight bulb replacement-I bought four bulbs and installed them in around 30 minutes myself
4. $700??? (who knows what a dealer would charge since they don't even sell these in the US) 6 disc indash changer, purchased from PG Performance and installed in less than 1 hour

I know I am probably at the low end of the scale.

·
0 Posts
Thanks to HermanH

2 Clutch jobs $800
1 Suspension and Sways installation $300
Interior swap untold hundreds!
Thats not all but i can't remember anymore!

·
Fore!
1,564 Posts
DIY brake job: $600 saved.
DIY struts/springs: cost of labor 200-300$
Oil changes: only a few bucks so far, but more to come.
Timing Belt: anticipate doing it myself some day.

Now ask me how much CB5 has cost me on struts/springs/PES supercharger!!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
$330 doing ICM myself - thanks DaddyMatt!
Labor on front brakes and rotors due to Info Forum - thanks Passaturbonium!
Performance of PBR Ultimates - priceless! - thanks Swami

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Funny you bring that up as I was just thinking when I left this morning about my how clubb5 has saved me some serious $$$. I was thinking about my latest fix on my car how that saved me some $$$$. Wondering how much money over 4 1/2 years of coming to clubb5 that I have saved because of this very site and the wealth of knowledge and info !!!! I can tell you quiete a few pennies :lol:

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
somewhere at the bottom of my modifications page, I was tracking the $$$ for everything that I did myself for each repair or modifications. While I did have the steering rack done by VW (damn, $1300!!!!) I estimated I saved well over $,2665 (based on my calculations fudging in the fact it takes me 2x as long to do what a pro-mechanic does, and at $65/hr.) doing the following:

Short Shifter instllation, NB sunglass holder install, JT Wood trim installtion, Zender rear spoiler install, Oettinger front install, Kamei grill install, K04 install (BIG SAVINGS), 2 exhaust swaps, suspension swap, front and 2 rear sway bars, complete brake swap, approx. 7 oil changes, headlamp swap, DV swap, FMIC install, boost and FP gauge installs, 2 radio installs.

*EDIT* I did fail to mention the complete 8 pc. control arm replacement. Add another $260 to that savings. Big PITA though....

I've even 'made' money doing installations (I still do in case someone doesn't feel they're up to the task.)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
oil changes ( i would say about 20 bucks a change ) costs me 30 dealer charges 50 ( plus 10bucks to take off my belly pan)

sparkplugs about even ( i had to buy tools) but next time i antispate about 40 bucks

coolant sensor ( cost me 15 bucks) they shop told me 250-300 bucks to diag it and then fix it

so current total is 40(for oil) + (250) -

so about 300 bucks

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
I did a thread on this not too long ago.

If I went to VW dealer - $6000 in labor
Private shop/garage - $5000

Nice chunk of change, another words without me doing these mods....there wouldnt have been the money to do it :( :lol: :lol: :lol:

I enjoy working on B5s. Sometimes things get you pissed...but thats any car. B5s are in general very easy to work with.....til your starter goes :( :p :)

But before I came to this place in 99.....I didnt even know how to change oil. So Ive learned alot!!! And enjoyed doing it. Thats the best part....money is really irrelevant (but you do need it)

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
The money I have saved doing things myselft has basically just turned and gone into mods. I'm not complaining, in fact, thanks Clubb5.com, while my time with my Passat has come to an end, I still would never have been able to do the mods I did wihtout saving money with the helpful tips and instructions from fellow members.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Question HermanH

In the range of $600 but it could be ever so slightly more.

Hermanh, I've got a question. What exactly were the symptoms of your failed steering rack? Was it simply a leak, or was it something else that made you replace it...wandering at speed, etc.? Symptoms?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
XCMTBing: it started out as a slow leak and within a year, it just threw up whatever amount I put in!!!! It leaked on the return line and that was at the seal! :(

I've run the pump dry a few times accidently but what are you going to do on the middle of the freeway???? Have to thank the New Dimensions Autocross for that one!!!! It was a tight course (but I did take 2nd place in G-Class! :) )

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
$40 bucks last week alone...I bought the Bentley manual from Walmart.com when the price was cheap.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Not enough. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts