Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

How much for 20k mile service on W8?

831 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Vee-acht 
#1 ·
Hey all,

How much did you guys pay for your 20k mile on a W8?

thanx 8)

#2 ·
#5 ·
I have an '03 W8 6-speed and brought it into the local dealership for the 20K mile service about a month ago. I paid $234.91. They did the recommended service: oil+oil filter change, topped off all fluids, changed pollen filter, rotated tires, lubed all door hinges, and they even washed my car. I supplied 9 qt. of my own Mobil 1 0w-40 that I got at Walmart (eww, Walmart :roll: ) for about $4/qt. Anyhow, the car was ready in about 4-5 hrs. Other W8 peeps: In general, would they charge more for the W8 service vs. the 1.8T?

#6 ·
w8powered, I fully agree with you! Labor rates don't change between the 1.8T and W8's. Bro, you might want to watch out with Mobil-1 0W-40 in the W8! I lost 1.5 quarts in a 5500 mile interval with Mobil-1 in my ride, and ended up switching back to 5W-40.

Everyone knows dealerships make their money off of the parts. There's too many online resources for OE and aftermarket parts for our VW's! I always provide my own components to the dealership during my scheduled services without any issues. ECSTuning has Maintenance Kits available for our cars at excellent prices!

#7 ·
Theoretically, they should only charge more for the oil (4 qt on the 1.8t, 9qt on the W8) and more in labor for any parts that may be more difficult to get to (oil filter, air filter, etc). However, given the cost difference between the two, I wouln't put it past them.

There's NO REASON AT ALL for why you can't do ALL of the items on that list yourself. You'll need to buy some parts (ramps or jack stands and a better jack, drain pan, shop towels, Fast Orange/Lava/other hand cleaner), but I'd bet you that it'd still be cheaper, even with one time purchases like those, to do it yourself. Not to mention you get the comfort of knowing that some minimum wage lackey hasn't had is hands all over your beloved W8.

#8 ·
Save your money by bringing you synth oil to the dealer. If you don't get the dealer stamp in the damn service book they might give you hassles if something goes wrong.
My dealer approved the use of Mobil 1 0W-40. Cost me $70 (not including my oil cost) for the 5000 mile service. Approaching 10,000 mile service in another 1100 miles. Expect to pay the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.