Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much does your dealership charge for syntetic oil changes, and how much do they charge if you bring in your own oil?

If I heard things correctly, my dealership said over the phone that it's only $35 for a Castrol Syntec oil change... but maybe he mumbled 45, I'm not sure. I asked him how much if I just bring in my own oil, and was told "under $20". Hmm, let's see here... if I buy 5 quarts at $5 per bottle, that's $25. VW will subtract $15 for it. Rrrrright... Even if the oil change was $45 I wouldn't be saving anything. :???:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
People forget that they are not paying $5 a quart for oil. They buy in bulk and get a much cheaper rate on it. So it may only cost them $15, who knows might be less than that if they and other delearships set up a buying partnership or something.

You can find it for less than $5 a quart I bet, you just need to buy the 5 quart jug instead of the individual quarts. I know the Mobil 1 is $19.77 at Wally Mart here and you will still have 1 quart left over if you have a 1.8.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Upwards of $7 and change per quart. My V6 Synthetic change this winter was $75, which was ther 5K service checkup upgraded to Synthetic oil.

$45 or so for oil
$15 for filter
$15 for labor

And piece of paper to prove that I will time my last fall oil change to get me through the Michigan winter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
45 for oil change with synthetic, 29 for regular. But I bring my own oil and its 25. Even though overall it cost me more, I found out when I first went to my local dealer and asked what kind of oil they use and they said regular 10-30, synthetic 10-40.????? They don't even use the right grade of oil. I asked why do they not use the specified 5-40 oil and their answer was that it wasn't readily available. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guyute said:
I know the Mobil 1 is $19.77 at Wally Mart here and you will still have 1 quart left over if you have a 1.8.
Man, I can't win. I just went to WalMart and they don't sell 0w-40 in 5-quart jugs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
$8 and change if I bring my own oil, filter, and drain plug. I would have done myself, but for that amount, it sure beats me having to lay down on my cold, dirty, salty garage floor in the dead of winter (and the heat of summer, for that matter)...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wouldn't even let the dealers change my oil when my car had the free 24K maintenance. I don't recall if it was this site or the TDI site,, but there are way too many instances of dealers overfilling oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts