Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Passat Wagon 2.4L
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble with the rear passenger door lock on this 2002 Passat Wagon. the actuator opens with the remote and with the manual switch but will not lock the door. I pulled the door panel off hopefully to get access to the actuator only to find the nightmare has just begun!
Once I figured out the 2 hidden bolts concealed under the door pull to remove the panel the next problem was how to get access to the actuator? (Yes the attached photo shows the bolts holding the inner panel not removed)
The window motor and track is in the way to remove the inner panel. When I lowered the door glass thinking I could just release the panel and window track together I was stumped. Then I thought of removing the window motor first as the next step and noticed all these wires to the motor! Not to mention no access to release it from the panel.
Were the engineers that designed this setup on medication or just looking to hold onto their jobs? Why so many wires for a DC motor that can be activated from the drivers panel and the rear door? 6 maybe but 12! Is the CCM suppose to control it to not lock?
My real problem is getting to the actuator. I thought I would throw this out hopefully someone could explain what they were thinking when they designed this?
And more important access to the lock actuator!
Many thanks for all that has help me so far!
Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
There's a specific procedure to get the door panel out.

This guy does a decent job of it, probably one of the best videos showing this type of process.

You don't have to drill out the speaker rivets to remove the panel. Just if you're replacing the whole regulator panel.

Reactions: cuppie and Iowegian

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I know it says 2005 on the video, don't sweat it. All B5's / B5.5's (1998 thru 2005) use the same process.

Reactions: twowagens

·
Registered
840 Posts
Why so many wires for a DC motor that can be activated from the drivers panel and the rear door? 6 maybe but 12! Is the CCM suppose to control it to not lock?
12 wires isn't a lot, not when you consider that the window motor is also the 'door control unit'. ;) It switches power to the window motor, drives the door lock motor(s), the door latch switches are wired to it....
The design actually reduces the amount of wiring in the vehicle - all door functions are operated from a given door, rather than all of that wiring needing to be run back to a centralized control unit (note, too, that the CCM would be significantly larger, if it had to operate all of the windows & locks.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts