Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get a rough idea of what it may cost for someone to install a clutch and possibly flywheel for me. There are some local shops around that specialize in VW/Euro treatments, and their labor rates range from $55-70 per hour. So, please let me know what the labor book says about flat rates, if possible.

TIA,
Steve

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ouch is right. Damn, 8 hours? Shite. Might wanna try doing it yourself. I'm friends with a guy here in Houston whose shop will do it for 150.00 flat rate. I don't think he knows what he's getting into but he's also doing it as a favor.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Chas and the outlaws did it but it was a major pain in the arse IIRC. My indy quoted me around $450 but I believe it is money well spent because they have the right tools and torque specs., etc.

I used to do clutch replacement on previous rear drive cars but I am not planning on doing this unless I can lift the car at least 5 ft. off the ground.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
powerslide23 said:
b5-turbonium said:
My mechanic did it for $250, or 4 hour of labor, be he finished it in under 3 hours
Where and who is your mechanic? Renner?
no, but if I remember correctly Renner does it for around that price too, well maybe a little more. My mechanic is on La Cienega and Venice, Rubbens Auto, no a VW tuning shop, just a mechanic I've been going to for years.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Scuba2001 said:
I would try and do it on my own, but I dont have the tools or the lift to do it on. Let alone, a transmission stand to hold the tranny while its not on the engine.
The hardest part is to hold transmission. B5- turbonium is right it should take 3 hours. When I was working at mechanic we did it in 3 hours.

By the way what kind of clutch are you gonna install?

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Id like to get a Spec Stage2 Clutch and flywheel. Still waiting on a response from another member.

Access to the transmission is pretty easy. Its not like they are going to have to pull the whole engine just to do the swap. Good thing about this shop is that they do all kings of work on imports. Years ago, they strictly did work on Audi and VW's but later opened it up to Honda, Acura, BMW, MB, Audi, VW. Also, the labor rate is very low comparted to other shops. Others charge on average of 70-80/hr, and thats JUST at the indy shops. For that, might as well go to a dealer.

·
0 Posts
The absolute hardest part of the job is removing the bolts on top of the bell housing, hell if it was not for that i could do it on my lunch break! :lol:

By the way i just destroyed my second stage 2 clutch, I cant help it, spinning in third is such short lived fun!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
Scuba2001
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing