Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
2004 W8 MT in Deep South Texas

Count me as a proud member of this club! 2004 W8 6MT, silver / gray, w/ original BBS Madras wheels, ECU tune by SpeedTuning USA, K&N cold air intake, JHM short throw shifter, Panzer skid plate, and a Dension Gateway Lite BT media and phone bridge via Bluetooth (tucked behind the stock head unit). 85K miles, and running perfectly. Have read about all the problems and heartaches that people have had with their W8s, but I've never had a big issue with it (knocking wood!). After I first got it (@ 45K miles) I resolved some engine noises (cam adjusters) with a couple of Amsoil engine flushes, and never had the problem again. ABS module was funky, regularly giving me warnings, so I exchanged it with a "cheapABS" unit that's been great ever since. I love this car, and it's my daily driver.

Also own it's "big brother", a 2004 Phaeton W12... with 95K miles... for special occasions. What can I say... love those Ws! ;-)

Latest project is attempting the Phaeton / Touareg chirp+siren mod, and "killing the dying goose"... but, after banging my head for a few weeks, all I've been able to accomplish is killing the dying goose (which is easy!). Got the whole VDS-Pro thing working (finally!... after two different old laptops and six different OSD2 to d-sub serial cables!), but now I am trying to figure out if I have a bad siren (bought used off eBay) or if I may have managed to screw up my CCM by mis-wiring the siren at one point. I'm not getting any sound out of the siren, despite having re-coded the CCM with VDS-Pro and updating the lock/unlock signal and siren adaptations with VCDS and a Ross-Tech cable. If any of you fellow W8 or Passat owners would have some experience with this and could spend a little time over the phone to advise me here... I'd sure appreciate it! Got the key FOB opening and closing the windows... that one was easy, once I got VDS-Pro up and running properly.

Peter

·
Registered
138 Posts
A while back i saw a W8 6 speed wagon for sale in my town with only about 120k km on it. I wanted it so badly but being 17 I didn't just have 11k laying around to buy it. Too bad though because I know the wagon 6 speed is a unicorn among unicorns. There is also a lady that lives right by me that has a black w8 wagon, but it's automatic. I'm pretty sure she has no idea what she has though.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Saw a W8 wagon in Jackson, Wyoming this week. Didn't get up close so no way to tell if it was a manual but the exhausts were a dead giveaway for the W8.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
My younger son's 2000 S4 2.7T has a 6-speed manual ZF -- is that the same transmission? Apparently the lower gear synchros are the weak spot on these boxes -- been there, done that, full reman.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, newb here. Actually, I'm here all the time, just decided to finally make an account today.

Anyway, I have an '03 W8 Wagon. It is, unfortunately, a TIP, but I have after months of searching found a source for an 01E and all the ancillaries (it's a W8, not an Audi so no fuss). I know this has been said before, but it's the one thing I have to do before I can really go crazy.

As to the story behind me buying a TIP over a 6 Speed; I was rather forced into it, as a kid who had been driving for less than a week totaled my old car, and I found a W8 which met all of my criteria for a base EXCEPT being a 6 Speed, so I swept it up instead of hoping one would pop up after another 4 years of searching.

Anyway, I hope all goes according to my flawless plans, but we'll have to see, there's a lot else going on right now trying to prevent it.

Also, hey ya'll - here's to many more years on here :beer:, ya'll seem a much better bunch than Vortex, lol. :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
My younger son's 2000 S4 2.7T has a 6-speed manual ZF -- is that the same transmission? Apparently the lower gear synchros are the weak spot on these boxes -- been there, done that, full reman.
They're the same transmission, but IIRC, either ALL W8's or ALL VW/Audi's after a certain year got an upgraded first gear. I think it's a combination of the two- All W8's and later Audi's- but I'm sure someone else knows for sure.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
I am not sure if the final drive or top gear has a different ratio, but I think one of them is different. I think the W8 runs a bit lower rpm at speed than the S4/A6 2.7T.

I am pretty sure I have the only 1.8T 6sp 4mo :) I might even get to drive it soon!

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
They're the same transmission, but IIRC, either ALL W8's or ALL VW/Audi's after a certain year got an upgraded first gear. I think it's a combination of the two- All W8's and later Audi's- but I'm sure someone else knows for sure.
You are correct about the synchro upgrade, which is what we went for with the rebuild.

My son and I wish he had a taller top gear -- his old 1996 A4 quattro with the pre-tip 5-speed automatic, now my car, turns only about 2200 RPM at 65mph.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You are correct about the synchro upgrade, which is what we went for with the rebuild.

My son and I wish he had a taller top gear -- his old 1996 A4 quattro with the pre-tip 5-speed automatic, now my car, turns only about 2200 RPM at 65mph.
If and when I can get the 01E on my side of the country, I plan on rebuilding it as a precautionary method. A taller top gear would be nice to. My step mom used to have an S5 (why she sold it, I'll never know. She regrets it every day), and though it had a 7 speed, it would cruise around 75ish at a lazy 12-1500. I would REALLY LIKE that for my frequent 100+ trips to and from college.

Oh, and another introductory thing- Yes, I'm in college and I drive a W8, NO it's not Daddy's car, and YES, I do throw money at it. I refuse to ruin such a wonderful machine. I know I've yet to prove myself, but trust. My biggest hindrance is actually my neighborhood, which doesn't allow working on cars. Pretentious f***s.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I've got 2 of those four hundred whatever.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have one 6sp, but two of the autos. I'm going to end up with the one 6sp, 1 auto, and maybe one as a preped dirt car with the Audi v8.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I have one 6sp, 2 5sp and one Tip, but no W8. :p
We obviously know who is the brightest one of the bunch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a powerful and rare blue/green 2004 6 speed manual transmission with 140K miles without issues. I am trying not to add more miles to it, but man, is so much fun to drive. This is apparently one of just 329 sold in the US. Looking to sale this beautiful sedan.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well I guess how much would be the question. I seem to be on a crusade to own them all, like some kinda weird Vw pokemon collector.... Does it have a black interior though?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts