Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I have an '08 Passat Lux wagon with 115,000 miles. I change oil every 5k, did timing belt and water pump and tranny fluid at 90k.

Most recent repair was oil filter adapter (had a leak) and new radiator (I poked a hole in it).

How many miles do FSI's and these transmission rack up before major troubles arise?

Any opinions or experiences are appreciated.

·
Registered
2007 B6 Passat 2.0T, 1994 E36 M3 3.0L, 2004 Silverado Z71 5.3L
113 Posts
If you have the 02M manual trans you should be fine, that trans is generally reliable. The majority of issues that can prevent the FSI from lasting are with the motor itself but if you are very on-point with preventative maintenance (make sure for oil change you're using full synthetic VW 502.00 spec oil, proper OEM Mann oil filter NOT aftermarket filters) and are also good at listening to and being aware of your vehicles health on a regular basis (not just driving/ignoring things until something bad happens), it will generally last you upwards of 200K miles. It just takes a lot more attention to the maintenance then some cars do in order to get there. Here is a link to a thread I posted on that should inform you of pretty much everything you need to keep on your mind with an FSI (and TSI).

That thread should cover it but if you're wanting more info feel free to ask.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/v...97-2009-vw-passat-2-0t-sedan-reliability.html

Edit: I hope you found my little write-up on the oil filter housing job useful!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
The FSI engine and the TSI both have high pressure direct fuel injection, the FSI has the old style cupped "lifter" which is a weak point often failing and trashing the cam, it was improved with a roller set up in the TSI.... the cupped cam follower is relatively cheap and should be replaced if worn , about a 15-30 minute job to replace and or inspect, nothing real complicated or in the way,right up front... around 35 bucks for new one.... and you can also buy an upgraded pump which has the roller setup but not necessary if you keep your eye on it

·
Registered
2007 B6 Passat 2.0T, 1994 E36 M3 3.0L, 2004 Silverado Z71 5.3L
113 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts