Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
29,800 with 30,000 service due in 2 weeks...

Lots of fun so far, but minor problems to be fixed are:
Passenger side electric seat 'clunks' slightly as I go around corners (only when there's a passenger in it). My wife says it feels like the seat is slightly loose.

'L' Shaped rubber 'block' on underside of rear passenger door is hanging loose...needs reattaching to underside of door.

Foglight glass on passenger side has crack from stone damage.

Brake pads need replacing all round.

Apart from that it's been great. Had the car nearly a year and done 20,000 happy miles (ex-demo had done 10,000 when I bought it) :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
Just rolled through 8,000 yesterday. Bought my '03 W8 new (70+ miles) in January. So far, it's been a good baby!
Swami - looks like you rack up some miles! How long is your commute?

·
Registered
24 Posts
5250 miles since Feb 15. Real nice car, a blast to drive, love the engine sound when accelerating.

VW does need to improve the quality of the little things. Problems so far: cam position sensor needed replacing, outside air temp sensor is 10 degrees too high, windshield has many nicks in it, the glass is softer than in past VWs, the driver side seat belt retractor spring seems to be unable to retract the seat belt anymore, the steering wheel is not flat, the OnStar status light is sometimes red for no reason.

But I still love the car. It goes in for first oil change this week, we'll see what they can fix.

Rob

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beavis said:
Just rolled through 8,000 yesterday. Bought my '03 W8 new (70+ miles) in January. So far, it's been a good baby!
Swami - looks like you rack up some miles! How long is your commute?
I do about 1200 miles a month, which includes a long drive to Bedford, Mass. I love my W8 on long drives and soon I'll be able to enjoy an upgraded stereo!

·
Registered
479 Posts
RobD said:
outside air temp sensor is 10 degrees too high
I have the same problem. I complained about it at the 5K service, they said the sensor was bad. It was replaced but the new one is also reading too high, same as the previous one.

·
Registered
246 Posts
RobD said:
...windshield has many nicks in it, the glass is softer than in past VWs...Rob
I have the same on mine...thought it was my imagination...

But I have noticed many more little nicks in the windscreen on my W8 compared to my 1989 TDI which I had before...I wonder why this should be...

·
Registered
24 Posts
w8cmp said:
RobD said:

But I have noticed many more little nicks in the windscreen on my W8 compared to my 1989 TDI which I had before...I wonder why this should be...
Yup, my 2000 Passat with 95,000 miles has much less damage to the windshield than my W8 with 5000 miles. VW is cutting costs by cutting corners. Too bad. I may look into getting better glass when I replace the windshield, which looks like it may be soon at this rate.

·
Registered
381 Posts
w8cmp said:
RobD said:

I bought my car in Winter and the salt spray on the windshield has made scratches from the wipers. That's some CHEAP glass. Disappointing for a $40k car.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Will turn 20K in the next day or two. One year old next month. Climatronic unit was replaced at 10K as was my outside temp sensor. Still reads 6-10 degres higher most of the time. I just haven't bothered about it. Oh, and I changed my oil too early.... :poke: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
5200 miles on my W8, bought end of Sept last year. Just had my 5k oil change on Friday. I've also been noticing windshield nicks and my temp sensor is about +8 degrees high. Otherwise, aside from a couple rattles the dealer hasn't been able to fix, no problems/complaints.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My temp sensor seems pretty accurate. Although I did notice that after washing the car this weekend and putting the bra on it, it was about 10 degrees low for awhile, but then gradually came up. Wondering if I trapped some cool water somewhere or the bra was blocking something. Were is the sensor?

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
I am coming up on 15k on my 8 and have owned it for a little over 17 months. I dont get the chance to drive it as much as I used to being I take the train to work these days. But prior to the career change I was averaging around 1200 miles per month as well. Man I miss driving her sometimes. :(

As for the temp guage I have never had it be off more then 4 to 5 degrees but I always felt the difference in actual temp was due to the extra heat coming from the engine. Now i am wondering if my sensor might need to be changed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
AlexDrivesAPassat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing