Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
01 V6 Passat 165,000 miles

Does anyone know about how many miles I can drive before running out of gas once the fuel light comes on?

Thank you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Until it runs out of gas. Though I find that when it stops counting miles remaining I put in about 14 gallons, so probably still a good 30 miles after that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ran my 04 GL Wagon empty just for that reason. After the fuel light came on I was able to travel another 75 miles until she started to sputter. Traveling speed: 65 mph
Weather: Overcast/60 degrees
Naturally, slower speed you can possibly travel farther.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Does anyone know about how many miles I can drive before running out of gas once the fuel light comes on?
That's a serious question, however the answer depends on so many variables that any answers are a wild guess. But it reminds me of a joke concerning a certain under-powered twin engine airplane, that couldn't maintain altitude with only one engine running. "How far will it go on one engine?" Answer: "to the scene of the crash".

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's a serious question, however the answer depends on so many variables that any answers are a wild guess. But it reminds me of a joke concerning a certain under-powered twin engine airplane, that couldn't maintain altitude with only one engine running. "How far will it go on one engine?" Answer: "to the scene of the crash".
Good ol' Ron White...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll compile all the answer's and take the best one. Fuel up before the light comes on :icon_eek:

I didn't want to run it dry to see because of putting stress on the fuel pump and it does depend on a lot of different variables but was just curious.

I'm surprised VW doesn't tell you on the dash ~ how many miles you have left like I see in a lot of other cars.

Thanks for the early morning laughs ;)

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
I'm surprised VW doesn't tell you on the dash ~ how many miles you have left like I see in a lot of other cars.
B5.5's (2001.5+) have that feature. Of course, it only reads out in increments of 5 miles, so that may not be fine-grained enough for you. When asking "Why doesn't it have feature X?" remember the car debuted in 1997.

·
Registered
877 Posts
When I saw the title of this thread my mind immediately went to the Seinfeld episode where Kramer took a car out for a test drive with a salesman and ran it until it was out of gas just to see how far it would go. It was a takeoff of Thelma and Louise, but with the usual idiotic Seinfeld twist.

In my '99, I think there's still at least 2 gallons left in the tank when the light comes on so I'm usually good for another 50 miles or so. I've actually timed it to where the light comes on right when I pull up to the pump. My wife can't stand driving with less than a half tank so it drives her nuts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is correct the fuel pump is lubricated by gasoline that is why most manufacturers leave at least 2-3 gallons after the low fuel light comes on. Although my Passat has 4-6 gallons after the light is on

·
Registered
186 Posts
When I had my 2005 B5.5, I remember watching the fuel light come on when the gas gauge needle entered the red "1/8 tank" zone. IIRC, the chime sounded at the same time to ensure I paid attention to the warning. That rarely happened, though, while I had the car. What with the price of gas these days, I prefer to refuel the car whenever the gas gauge reads 1/2 a tank or less.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,287 Posts
Not that it's recommended, but mine chimes at 45 miles to empty. That's a safe number, but don't push it.

Reactions: John_E and jjpark

·
Registered
877 Posts
The Shell stations in my area all have V-Power (premium) gas on sale every Tuesday for the same price as their 89 octane mid-grade so I try to hold out and buy it every Tuesday. If I'm getting too near empty I'll just throw a couple of bucks in to tide me over until Tuesday.

·
Registered
451 Posts
There is distance to empty, or miles per tank function on my B55 GLX. You can find it if you cycle through the trip computer on the right side stalk. It varies with fuel economy, however. I two like Shell.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,504 Posts
There is distance to empty, or miles per tank function on my B55 GLX. ... It varies with fuel economy, however. I too like Shell.
I wonder what MPG it assumes in the distance calculation, because MPG can vary almost 2:1 between highway cruising and urban stop and go.

I strongly endorse the recommendation to keep the tank above the 1/4 mark, because fuel pumps are a known weak spot.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I don't think that any particular MGP is assumed, my hunch is that the computer keeps track of an average MPG. This is known from the duty cycle of the fuel injectors, and how far the car has moved, from the vehicle speed sensor. In both cases, there has to be uncertainties. For instance, variations in tire circumference will give the computer different speed calculations.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
Shell is a "Top Tier" fuel supplier. VW specifically recommends using fuel endorsed by that industry group.

BTW, I used to have a Mk1 Jetta with the "worlds most accurate fuel gauge". When the needle touched empty, the engine would die.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I don't think that any particular MGP is assumed, my hunch is that the computer keeps track of an average MPG.
On my 2001.5 the 'miles to empty' will vary in real time as I'm driving so the computer must be using some sort of running average of the last few minutes fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Every car is going to be different in this regard, but here's what I'd do to estimate a reasonably accurate driving range, after low-fuel light comes on: As soon as that light turns on, fill up and note how much fuel it took. Then, look up the fuel tank capacity and subtract the quantity of your fill up. That should be the fuel remaining when the light comes on. Multiply that by your average MPG, and that's about how far you can drive on reserve.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts