Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that most everyone continues to do modifications to some extent regardless of age of your vehicle, but I would think that at some point the cost of maintenance becomes priority than modifications. Currently I'm at the stage where maintenance costs are starting to consume most of the "budget" that I put towards my car versus modifications. I suppose it depends largely upon lease vs. purchase, as well as expected ownership.
And when I mean maintenance, I'm talking outside of just the usual scheduled maintenance - but also the need to fix up other things - control arms, rattles, etc...

I'm just curious who else is at that stage.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Other than considering adding tint - I am beyond doing any major modifications.

This is my second Passat and this time it was a GLX. Sure, I've added the emergency triangle and the chrome armrest trim but I think that's the extent of my mods this time. It's hard to improve upon such a great vehicle.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hi, my name's Ryan and I thought I wanted to stop once but..... There's this place called ClubB5... AND I CAN'T STOP DAMNIT!!! :nervous:

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I just did some mods. I did the oil cooler replacement mod, and the one remaining original upper control arm mod, and let's not forget the sway-bar link mod. That's a fave! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Recently I modded my Corrado SLC's entire cooling system. I did the fan mod, the radiator mod, coolant temp sensor mod, and the heater core mod.

Gotta love those mods! :thumbup:

Kenny

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Fluid if you are at that point it is time to prioritize.

1. You need transportation
2. You need a job
3. You probably need transportation to get to your job to afford your transportation.
4. You need to keep the transportation running

5 You want to do mods(hell all of us do, but they are not necessary)

Keep the car running until you can one day afford a car in better shape and mod the hell out of it.

I have been there and it is very frustrating when the car seems to want part replaced and all you want to do is get those rims you have been dreaming about.

Want them don't need them.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh.. I AM prioritizing. Well.. not only that, but I believe I've put most everything that I want into my car anyway. Well.. maybe not EVERYTHING. But I'm happy with where I am with my car. I was really more just curious who else was at a point of modifying less, and maintaining more.

Tastes great - less filling. :)

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
I'm in the Kenny basket. I just did the functional grounding mod on the Rabbit. Soon, I will do the timing belt mod on the Passat.

I never tire of putting little bits on the cars. It's not always a chip or some huge bit of body kit (who, me?), but I truly enjoy spending quality car time. Sometimes it is an air filter, sometimes it is power enhancement.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
its not wasting money(at least not for me)i consider it to be the same as taking a trip or going to play sports or whatever, i know i will not get the money i put in it out of it, thats not my goal!!!! its all about the fun of modding and quality time with my car and tools :thumbup:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was a long ways past mods for quite a while - not because of age or cost exactly, but because my car was burning tons of oil and generally seemed like a POS. I had a whole bunch of work done under warranty to fix most of the problems and now I'm starting to think about some small upgrades again. I probably won't do anything really huge (like painted front and skirts) because the car has over 40k and it doesn't seem quite as worth it any more, especially after having so many problems. Its always good to do little stuff to keep the car interesting, though, even if its just a coat of wax.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm closing in on that point of less mods. I do have a couple of more that I really would like to do, like Phaeton Pedals and Chrome Roof Rails. These are clearly for aesthetic purposes only. I'm really struggling with weather or not I want to lay out that kind of money. Mine is a 2000 4Motion Variant with 63K miles on the odo. I suspect I'm gonna be needing maintenance money now. Spending the money on mods was so much easier when the car was new.

·
Registered
602 Posts
At 120k miles and climbing, all my mods are what's called maintenance upgrades. At least that's my excuse. Worn spark plug wires get swapped out for Bosch Premiums. I'll be swapping the STOCK (yes stock at 120k) front pads and rotors for the Mintex pads and rotors (wish I got slotted) I bought at 60k miles when the rears needed replacing.

Time to replace to vacuum lines with silicone or something else better than OEM. Hmm, must be time for new injectors soon, might as well replace it with the bigger ones.

At this stage in the game, I happily wait for stuff to go, so I can get something better.

Is that an exhaust rattle I hear? :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
GaltLine said:
I'll be swapping the STOCK (yes stock at 120k) front pads and rotors for the Mintex pads and rotors (wish I got slotted) I bought at 60k miles when the rears needed replacing.
I wouldn't put Mintex pads on my car for free... in fact I'd probably throw them out (or sell them to someone else on eBay or something) rather than put them on my car even if I'd already purchased them.

Not only do my Mintex pads squeal all the time, I've read quite a few posts about others having the same experience. I guess you've probably had an OK experience with the rears, but I'd go with a different brand rather than risking disappointment with the fronts. I don't think they're any less dusty than OEMs, either.

Just my $.02, but I'm making an effort to respond to every brake related thread about how much I hate my Mintex pads... what a friggin' waste.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.