Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to take advantage of a lowering set on sale by daz69 and I am not really sure if it will work with my current tires/wheel setup. I have 245/40/18 @ the rear and 235/40/18 @ the front. The kit daz69 is selling lowers the car between 1" to 11/2", what worries me is that it may be too low for the tires 245 rear and 235 front and therefore some rubbing at the fenders edge would be for sure. Running narrower tires is out of question as this would break the deal. You insight will be greatly appreciated. Car is a Passat 2003 with standard suspension. Thanks.

·
Registered
450 Posts
What are the wheel offsets? A 235.40.18 will stick out an extra 20mm, so I suspect you are not using the oem offset spec which I believe was 37. It really depends on how much room is left between the sidewall and the fender lip, and there has to be space for the tire to move within the fender. You also have to anticipate that the lowering springs will continue to settle for a while as well. Lowering springs create new alignment geometry, mostly negative camber that can contribute to uneven tire wear.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I'm a little late to this thread but...

A few factors determine what size tire you can fit on the car. Are you FWD or 4Motion?
I know for a fact that a FWD with bone stock suspension you can use P235's on a 19" wheel up front and P265 on a 19" wheel on the back.
I had that tire/wheel combo setup on my 1998 GLS for about 3 months.
I then moved those exact same wheels and tires to my 2004 GLX FWD with Biltsein PSS9's and I was dropped an easy 1-1/2" with no problems.
The only thing is, I don't remember what the offset is on the wheels.

If you have a 4Motion staggered wheels are much harder to do. Almost every tire manufacture has a different outside diameter size tire for different widths. P235 tire is a different dia. than a P245 for example.
Usually on 4motion or all-wheel drive the tires are the same on all 4 corners.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts