Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boris said:
Elaborate, I'am lost. What info do you want?
ok let me clarify, i want to know how tall the tires will be, just the tires not the rims, let me know if this helps :D

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Well 225/45-17 will be exactly as tall as the standard tire that came with the car. What you are doing is increasing the wheel diameter and decreasing the sidewall while keeping the circumference of the tire the same as stock.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info but not what i want to know :D if i have low pro's on my car how much lower is the tire when compared with the standard 17 inch tire :wink:

Thanks for your Help :bow:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just a piece of advice. don't buy the falken Zies!!!! I bought some of those same tires but in an 18 inch. They were the worst handling, cant stand the cold, wont grip in a straight line, could last me 7000 miles tires I have ever bought!! I didn't even get two oil changes out of them. I drive fairly agressive, but Damn!! I'm a cheapskate just like the rest of us, so I bought some nankings, the are far better for as cheap as they are, they were actually cheaper. I've got over 15k on these tires, and my driving habbits haven't changed. the only thing is my car is lowered so the camber has worn the inside a little prematurely. but other than that, I would buy them again and again and again. Awesome tires for as cheap as they are. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Passaton18s said:
Just a piece of advice. don't buy the falken Zies!!!! I bought some of those same tires but in an 18 inch. They were the worst handling, cant stand the cold, wont grip in a straight line, could last me 7000 miles tires I have ever bought!! I didn't even get two oil changes out of them. I drive fairly agressive, but Damn!! I'm a cheapskate just like the rest of us, so I bought some nankings, the are far better for as cheap as they are, they were actually cheaper. I've got over 15k on these tires, and my driving habbits haven't changed. the only thing is my car is lowered so the camber has worn the inside a little prematurely. but other than that, I would buy them again and again and again. Awesome tires for as cheap as they are. Hope this helps.
Your in Fort smith we need to have a gtg sometime!!! Thanks for the info! :bow:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Passaton18s said:
Turbo2000 - I wouldn't thank him for that advice. Sounds like he works for Nankang (not Nanking BTW)! :poke:

I've had the Falken Ziex ZE512's on for 25,000 miles now and the tread is still in great shape. On top of that, I have the wheels & tires off because I bent one of my wheels in a pothole :mad: While cleaning the 3 good wheels today I noticed that one of the Falkens had a screw and two nails in it and it's still holding at 32 psi! I was amazed!! I have no idea how long they've been in there.

Lastly, If you do some research, you'll find that the Ziex is one of the only performance tire to come with a 30,000 mile warranty :)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey dogwitB5, i looked at some tire reviews, and everwhere i look all i get is mixed feeling about this tire. The only reason i am ever looking at these is they have some kind of lip or something like that that is supposed to help protect you rim. i am also getting them in a package for like 963$ tire rims mounting balancing and shipping all included!! :thumbup:

What is wet/snow traction like?

·
Registered
547 Posts
The one negative thing I can say is that lip dosen't work for crap! The wifey brushed a curb at the ATM :mad: The wheel was scraped and the tire wasn't touched.

The wet traction is awesome. I live in NJ, commute 150 miles round trip to work (all highway) and I'm driving 80 to 85 mph when traffic permits and that holds true for wet weather also. It was also real reliable in the snow this year (and we had a good amount).

Above is the main reason why I bought these tires. I wanted something reliable and that would last at least 30,000 miles. I'd buy this tire again in a heartbeat!

Plus...you can't beat the package deal :D

·
Registered
547 Posts
BTW, I just noticed where you're getting them from. It's the same company I got mine from. They are good guys. I just had to order a new wheel and they are trying to get it to me asap.

Piece of advice: Buy an extra wheel if you can. You're bound to screw one up. I paid $150 each in the package and now I'm paying $180 for one! :cry:

What wheels are you getting? You can see mine here: http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61805

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice Rims man!! im gonna go with these

http://www.customwheelsmarket.com/spehol773.html

they look very similar to kahns RS-R which is what i originally wanted, but edgeracing stopped importing them, and it was gonna cost like 300$ to ship them here form england so it was like 900$ just for the rims, now i'm getting the rims and tires for that price! :lol:

By the way- how does the free mounting/balancing work on the tire packages? Did you pay any sales tax? and did you get Free shipping?

Thanks for Your Help

Ethan

·
Registered
547 Posts
I like your choice :thumbup:

They will mount the tires, put the correct amount of air in them and speed balance them for you. You'll receive them ready to mount.

I didn't pay sales tax or shipping. It's a real good deal!

Good luck!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
i've got 40 side wall just wanted to look like 18s but have lighter weight for my car... but in lower profile, you have more rough ride.

they look really nice tho if you have springs

without springs = lower profile give you bigger gap SO UGLY :p

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
don't change the height of the tire, or else your speedo reading will be way off.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DogWitaB5 said:
I like your choice :thumbup:

They will mount the tires, put the correct amount of air in them and speed balance them for you. You'll receive them ready to mount.

I didn't pay sales tax or shipping. It's a real good deal!

Good luck!!
Do they come with hubcentric rings, another club :b5: member thinks that i will need them. did you need them? or do you know if they come with them?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
9 Participants
l5gcw0b
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing