Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that my car might be a bit noisy on the road... Maybe wind Noise from the Windows/Door seals. Possibly noise from the Windshield Area.... So, I pulled out the old Decibel Meter and Hopped into my 99 5 Speed with 16" Fulda Tires on "Spring" Wheels. Thanks to the NEW Neuspeed Chip, I got the car up to 70mph in No time and took a reading from the driver's seat.

The car read 64dB @ 70mph. :???:

Has anyone done any simillar testing? I have an all stock car (with the exception of those listed above).

Is that Noisy for this car? A buddy of mine did the same test in his Jeep. He reached 86dB :crazy: while in first gear, in the parking lot. That is WITH his Hard Top on.

SalManilla

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
thats really low actually. I think a Lexus LS430 is 61db at 70MPH

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm sure my Neuspeed 2.5" DP and Cat-back are louder than the wind noise.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
b5veedub, the decible rating, IIRC, is not linear, so those 4 DB's could be something astronomical in the way of noise

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Hey Sal, got the mesurements last night. I was @ 70dBs @ 70 M.P.H.

74 @ WOT over 70 M.P.H.

I mounted the dB meter on the passenger side inbetween the seat back and the headrest, mic facing forward, just like your head!

Mods are in my profile for anyone else...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
turbo_tom80
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing