Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the average life expectancy of the turbo on the 1.8?

Has anyone had to replace theirs yet due to failure? If so, at how many miles, and how hard do you drive?

If you replaced it, did you go w/ another factory turbo, or did you upgrade to a nicer aftermarket version?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
How hard do you drive it? What oil are you using? How often is oil changed? Do you let it cool down?

My turbo might be on the fritz; it is a 98 AEB. Some of those went as early as 60k if not earlier. To get 95 so far out of mine I suppose I am fortunate.

The price for a reconditioned VW stock turbo, 1200. Just called the local VW stealer today. For 1200 , there is a group buy for a K04 with many extras. So another factory turbo is almost out of the question when one can purchase an upgraded turbo.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Some of the '98s had improper heat shielding for the oil line to the turbo, causing pre-mature failure. Chipping the car will put some increased strain on the turbo and a lot of folks on this forum are chipped. I'm pretty sure the life expectancy is well above 60k.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Take care of it and it will last. If you stick to the factory schedule (5k miles) for changes and upgrade to a synthetic, along with a cool down period after hard driving, it should be fine.

The 98s had heat soaking issues, but that was addressed with a simple foil wrapper on the oil supply line and the later cars appear to be fine.

Just because a turbo fails, does not mean neglect or a design issue. It could just be that particular unit that had a flaw. There are MY97 and MY98 turbos with 150k plus miles and no issues at all.

Look for turbos other places than VW, which is pricey. A turbo is an amazingly simple machine, with only one real moving part. There are after market kits and rebuilds for half that cost.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
will a turbo failure light up a CEL?

how does one know the turbo is failing?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
1.8Tabamoura said:
will a turbo failure light up a CEL?

how does one know the turbo is failing?
no CEL for turbo failure on my 1998 when it went with 95,000 miles.
You will know your turbo is not producing boost trust me.
Very true, you will know, it will feel like the parking brake is still on!

If the turbo does not produce boost, the ECU does not really notice. It just continues trimming the fuel and timing based on the airflow and exhaust gas readings. If those vary dramatically, like when the boost changes, it adjusts them accordingly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I bought my 1998 B5 with 58k on it the turbo had gone out and no one told me. There are no warnings for a malfunctioning turbo. As a result of running w/o a turbo i have had to change out several parts along the intake and have to constantly clean the throttle body due to a build up of turbo oil in the intake system. If you think your turbo is going to go out i strongly sugest you replace it before it does. :shock: I payed 800 for my k03 replacment, but then had to pay another 900 for labor at vw.
hth

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Make sure that it is not your DV valve. I thought my turbo was toast and I even took her to the dealership who said my turbo was toast. Turned out I just tried to swap my DV valve ( a forge 007) with a stock one and the boost came back. Saved me 1400 bucks (quote from the dealer for the turbo replacement). Get a boost guage, only way to be sure. A "toasted" turbo does not produce 18+ psi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts