Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The instructions say to roll the window down until the bolts are visible through the holes in the inside door frame / cable hanger, but I first have to pull the power window fuse (or disconnect the battery) and remove the inside door panel, so it would be nice to know ahead of time how far down to roll the window.

My front clip has broken; the rear one remains intact, so if I have someone help me at the switch control, I can gently still adjust the height of the window, which is currently in its fully closed position and secured with packing tape for insurance.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
IIRC, the rear has only 1 clip and uses the dowel-inside-a-dowel through a hole in the window to keep it in place.

AndreasPassat linked this video a few days ago and it is pretty good IMHO of walking through the process.
And do be careful pushing the plastic dowel out of the window. I broke the last window I tried it on and I didn't even see it coming until --sploosh-- the entire window just vaporized into tiny little pieces of glass.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
You don't have to disconnect any battery power to service the window(s). After the window is down to it's needed position, then you can pull the connector off the window motor for any window regulator removal.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Oh DOH, you said front window. I saw the R and thought rear. Sorry about that. I'm sure the procedure is about the same but as you said, there are 2 clips on the front so you don't have to worry about breaking the window (much).

And like AP said, you shouldn't have to remove power before releasing the window and even if you do, it doesn't take much to just plug any needed connections back to together for a minute or two.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Front Door Lock (Rear doors are similar)
You should lower the window into the service position (about 2"-3" open) before you disconnect the battery.
(Remove the grommets, and look through the access holes as you lower it.)
No need to remove the window completely, just tape it up securely. (Put paper/plastic over top of door to protect paint)

Door Lock Mechanism Repair (With Pics) (Modified copy from www.taligentx.com)

It is always wise to disconnect the battery before working in the door, there are multiple sources of power to the doors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts