Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the car a few weeks ago and I'm not sure how the trip odometer works. What is the difference between trip one and trip two. Basically I want to know how to figure out my intown gas mileage. I know...I'm such a noob

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
The button on the bottom of the right stalk chooses between 1 and 2 and also resets them if to press and hold it for 3 seconds. you can use either to keep track of average mileage, average speed and elapsed time over short periods. elapsed time/average speed is also smart enough to pause if you stop for a short interval (gas, eat, nature's calling, etc.) and then start again resume your trip.

If you are calculating mileage over a series of local trips, either will work, IIRC the average mileage is calculated over a minimum distance, I am not sure what that distance is. I will look in my owner's manual later to see if there are more details.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Check your owner's manual to be 100% certain but I belive one of the trip odometers keeps counting miles until manually reset and the other keeps counting miles until the car has not moved for a certain period of time, more that what would typically be taken to fill the tank or stop during a trip to eat.

Auto reset time I think is something in the 2 to 4 hour range?

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,164 Posts
Bob is correct. Trip 1 will reset after about 3 hours of the car being turned off. Trip 2 will reset only when the mileage counter turns over, which is at 10,000, or if you manually reset it.

I use Trip 2 as my OCI counter.

·
Registered
12,077 Posts
Check your owner's manual to be 100% certain but I belive one of the trip odometers keeps counting miles until manually reset and the other keeps counting miles until the car has not moved for a certain period of time, more that what would typically be taken to fill the tank or stop during a trip to eat.

Auto reset time I think is something in the 2 to 4 hour range?
Correct. #1 is for "that trip" (no stops for more than four hours) and #2 is cumulative, presumably until reset. I say presumably because I noticed my #2 does seem to reset eventually, after somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Same thing for MPG reading on the MFA, one is over the long haul and one setting would be reset while the car sat overnight and start averaging from when you start car to go somewhere the next day, for me that is work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts