Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all... was just thinking tonight about this afternoon's drive home after picking up my car with it's new, fairly aggressive suspension this afternoon.

Truth is that I love to drive fast, but never with other people in the car and very rarely on a street where there are other drivers. Typically it's roads like hwy 1, up north in the tight sections right on the coast (with a keen eye for black&whites, of course)... Anyway, my point is that the moment after driving my first 1/4 mile in my much improved car, I knew it was going to be a big challenge for me to keep from really driving it hard and have some good fun. Maybe it's the 10 years I raced karts, but this most recent change will most definitely (to some degree) change the way I drive, no question about it.

I guess it's just knowing the potential is there, I'll have a difficult time fighting off the urge to really feel that satisfaction of driving a familiar on/off ramp 20mph faster than I've ever driven it before... knowing I'm not going to get any understeer (a common problem with heavier cars).

I'm sure I won't turn into a dangerous jerk, but I recognize that I'll have to watch myself.

Anyone else find themselves driving faster with each signifigant upgrade? Or maybe you know the dates that you installed certain "items" by checking your court dates?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Cycles said:
Or maybe you know the dates that you installed certain "items" by checking your court dates?
LMAO, October 21st is my court date... damn chip install.

I noticed that the more mods i do for performance the more i tend to stay off the brakes. With the 28mm in the back and my current suspension set up, i don't really drive fast it's just that i carry my speed around corners. On ramps and off ramps are the greatest for this. About a month ago i was in a open, freshly paved parking lot handling my car with my friends. We were "testing and tuning", i couldn't believe that i actually oversteered the car abit. The steering is so neutrel i can't believe it's a FWD car.

Anyway, i know exactly how you feel. With my newest mod.. the EVOMS intake, i have a completely different tone coming from my motor. It's constantly begging me to boosted it. (pssshwwwwsssss) :lol:

GL with you new mods, it would be very unfortunate if they were to get you a ticket :lol:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
wst said:
Let me put it this way: I like to make sure I use all of my mods to their full potential :D
Me too :lol: . And the funniest thing is that I got my last speeding ticket driving a loaner 2.0 Beetle when my car was getting work done. Still can't explain it. :crazy:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, for me:

H&R sports='d far more agressive turn ins and more speed carried through turns of all kinds

APR 93 octane program + K&N='d me rolling down windows just to hear whooshing noise and grinning like an idiot.

So, yes, I would say that my mods have changed the way I drive, because I tend to do things just for the pleasure of feeling or hearing them work. :crazy:

·
Banned
708 Posts
i definetly drive more aggressive now that im lowered and running 18X8.5 rims but my eyes are always looking for potholes and dips... i already broke one rim dont need to break another...

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Yeah, I'm an accomplished pothole dodger now. :lol:

·
Registered
166 Posts
At the present stage in my life I would use mods to be able to drive in a safe, relaxed and brisk manner. Then again my Passat without mods does that anyway!

Ok when the roads are quite I often drive harder and faster, using all the road to "streigten the bends" using the pace and control that an un-modded Passat can do.

Boring eh ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.