Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our '99 stolen recently... but it's been recovered. There's a key missing though. The insurance isn't going to pay to have the locks replaced, just a new key. They'll reprogram the keys though. Does this reprogramming make the lost key useless? Parts and labour to replace the lock set is rather high but I'm not comfortable knowing that somebody from our neighbourhood might still have the missing key.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If I'm correct, which I may not be, only select few 99's had immobilizers in them. If you do have one, then you will need re-programming to get other keys to start the car. However, the keys will still open the doors, I think without alarming whcih means they'd be able to always open your doors to get stuff out.

Out of curiosity, how did they steal your car and get a key?

This needs a bump for sure though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1BadWGN said:
If I'm correct, which I may not be, only select few 99's had immobilizers in them. If you do have one, then you will need re-programming to get other keys to start the car. However, the keys will still open the doors, I think without alarming whcih means they'd be able to always open your doors to get stuff out.
We definitely have an alarm - I can't remember off-hand if we have an immobilizer or not. Do they come hand-in-hand? It seems rather short-sighted of the insurance company to me to not replace the lock-set knowing that there is a key out there. I don't really want to spend CAD$600-700 replacing the lockset if it can all be done programmatically. It sounds like it can't though.

1BadWGN said:
Out of curiosity, how did they steal your car and get a key?
Not sure. Best guess is that it got dropped in the street near the car and found by an opportunist joyrider. It disappeared between pulling it out of the ignition and looking for it when making the police report two days later. We still have the remote on the flimsy ring. There was no lock or ignition damage when the car was recovered. We use the car once or twice a week at the most these days, so neither of us carry the keys on the same ring as the house keys. A key could go missing for two weeks or in some months. *sigh*

·
Registered
621 Posts
Have you tried appealing to a higher authority at the insurance company? It does sound rather short-sighted of them not to replace all the locks. Even if they do not replace the locks, a written appeal included in your current claim file might prove useful in the event that the joyrider takes your car (or it's contents) again.

TGH

·
Registered
445 Posts
We definitely have an alarm - I can't remember off-hand if we have an immobilizer or not.
Mine has an alarm, no immobilizer though. So I went for the big guns, aftermarket! Works great and may be an option for you. I think you might be out of luck though with the key thing unless you replace. You should check online at places like usedcarparts.com or something for a replacement set. Maybe thats an option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
1BadWGN
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing