Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you tear a CV Boot? I went to get inspected yesterday and I didn't pass because my outer CV boot is torn on the drivers side. I have a 99 V6 with only 35,000 miles. Luckily, I bought an extended warranty when I bought the car used.

·
Registered
921 Posts
mine busted when my tire was flat and i drove a few feet to pull over
tire was a runflat and had to be replaced
few days earlier i did a oil change and they were fine
but when i changed the tire noticed it was ripped

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mostly a wear out process with the folds in the boot.

In all but one case I found that the boots always tore at the fold in the boot. The rubber, plastic fatigued and the boot started cracking at the accordiened(sp) portion. The one other boot tore because a string on the road got wrapped around the boot and cut it.
Next time pull on the boot and see if you have any small cracks starting from the plastic breaking down.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Rubber boot flexing and rotating 808 revolutions per mile x 35,000 miles = 28,280,000 revolutions!!! I'd say that's not too bad... :lol:

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
EDO said:
Rubber boot flexing and rotating 808 revolutions per mile x 35,000 miles = 28,280,000 revolutions!!! I'd say that's not too bad... :lol:
It is when you consider the stock ones on my Taurus are at 120K!

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
My wifes Subaru Impreza used to chronically tear axle boots. They were shoddy neoprene and would last all of 15k. We replaced two before I decided to make it noever happen again. Duct tape saved the day! I just folded strips into the valleys and basically coated the neoprene with tape. We got 35k out of the last pair and traded it in that way.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
LOL, 60 K here on a V6 and I have had to repair both outers now.
But, at only $35 for a repair kit it's not too expensive, just a little mucky.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
One of mine failed due to fatigue, right where it was clamped to the axle...cracks started small and gradually got bigger until it started slinging grease. I put a few layers of electric tape around it and secured it with a zip tie since my dealer couldn't get to it for ~3 weeks. If I had never had it fixed, I imagine the tape and zip ties would still be holding it to this day!

·
Registered
828 Posts
The CV joint boots on my cars tend to last around 100K miles. I spray them with silicone at every oil change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts