Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Find a small nail like the ones that come in a picture hanging kit.
Set the blade portion of key on a cutting board or work surface with the plastic portion hanging off the edge.
Make sure the blade is vertical.
Take the nail and use it to gently pound out the pin that holds the blade to the remote.
Make sure you don't lose that pin!
You will re-use it to attach the new blade.
There was a write-up the old CB5 website.
Good pics to illustrate my explanation.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I visited the watch repair desk at the local jeweler. He swapped my blade to a Beetle remote for $5. He had the right tools and I didn't... took him about two minutes.

Make sure your new remote fob is compatible with your car before you make the swap!

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
i use a pocket knife or even a thin kitchen knife (not sharp!!) and slide it under there.

there is a small tab that WILL break from simply pulling if you're unlucky!! hmm, how do i know that?!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I used a little screw tool that removes watch pins. That way I did'nt have to worry about slipping and puttung the nail into my hand. :p If you dont have access to one, try a jewelry or watch repair shop.

·
Registered
303 Posts
VOS: btw...what did you tell the parts counter at Vorderman to get them to cut your key for free? They charged me $12 to do it. I know it's after the fact but ehh, just wondering.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Vos said:
The guy just never gave me a bill. He handed me the key and said have a nice day, so I left. lol
lol. good for you. the guy handed me the bill and even walked me over to the cashier's desk. oh well, $12 is a bit much but when compared to what THEY would have charged me for the entire key I'm not complaining much. I was just looking forward to a freebie. Oh well, no big deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts