Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The two different ones I have heard are:

1. Leave driver's door open, turn key on but do not start engine, leave it that way for three minutes. Turn key off.

2. Turn key on but do not start engine, hold gas pedal to floor for 30 seconds. Turn key off.

I don't have proof that either works. When i did each of them to my car ('99 AEB) I didn't notice a difference - but I didn't have check engine codes or anything wrong either.

I would love to hear the steps with a VAG-Com from someone that has them.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Disconnecting the battery is the most complete and thorough way to reset it. I never can remember the exact instructions for the above reset procedure(s). Somebody want to write up a definitive method and post in Info Forum? Or is it already hidden there somewhere?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i searched and can't seem to find any detailed instructions. I have disconnected the battery and it doesn't seem to work, the check engine light has stayed on in the past when i've done that, so i KNOW that doesn't reset the ECU. Anybody want to do a write up on this?

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Oh, you have a CEL - that's different. You need a VAG-COM, or the equivalent. You go into a module and "clear codes".

I believe AutoZone will also perform this service for you.

But if you don't know the cause of your CEL, then you should interpret the codes first, to see what the problem is.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right now i don't have a CEL. I was just saying in the past that it didn't take the CEL off when I disconnected the battery. I just want to reset the ECU and give the car a fresh start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
Paradigm
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing