Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,164 Posts
Pull the door seal (it's attached with a sticky goo). Be careful not to get the goo on the interior materials.

then just slide it up if you have curtain airbags. If so, then there will be a nylon leash. If you don't have curtain airbags, then just snap it off. Two attachment points in both cases.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I didn't have to mess with the door seal on my 99. I just wedged my finger into the gap between the pillar panel and headliner. It's just held in with a couple of trim snaps. Carefully give it hell and it will pop off for you. If I remember correctly, the bottom is wedged down beside the dash.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,689 Posts
1.eight said:
I didn't have to mess with the door seal on my 99. I just wedged my finger into the gap between the pillar panel and headliner. It's just held in with a couple of trim snaps. Carefully give it hell and it will pop off for you. If I remember correctly, the bottom is wedged down beside the dash.
That's exactly what I did when I installed my W8 dome light. Easy as pie. :lol:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update. I pulled the a-pillar off last night just to try it in preparation for the boost/vac. gauge install (if the pod ever gets here :mad: ). There are basically two techniques for removing the thing. The first time (technique 1) I removed it I just kept pulling untill it finally gave and popped off. Thats when I got a look inside to see how it was held on. There are slots in the pillar cover that slide over fasteners that are attached to the car itself. Putting it back on requires you to place the cover on the pillar but slid up (towards the ceiling) an inch or two from the installed position. Then you have to push the cover against the pillar and slide it down (towards the dash). This will slide the slots onto the fasteners. The bottom will slide between the dash and pillar. Installing is trickier than removal. You need to use both hands and push in the right spot to get the slots to slide over the fasteners. This is the only way I was able to get it on. Simply pushing it back on would not work. I had to remove it again because I missed a fastener the first time i re-installed it. This time (techinique 2) i grabbed the cover by the top and pulled upward towards the ceiling untill it slid off the fasteners and then re-installed it (cathing all the fasteners this time). This is a little less tramatic for the cover and fasteners. I don't know if poping it off would ever dammage the trim or fasteners but I don't want to find out so I'll be using technique 2 from now on.

Also, this is on an 03 (a-pillar bags) so i'm not sure if the fasteners are different for cars without a pillar air bags.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Now if my gauge pod would just come in.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Install is actually very easy - no sliding involved. If you try to slide, then guaranteed you will miss at least one of the snaps. Slide the trim into the dash, stick the knobs on the actual trim piece and with then on, push into the holes and they will snap!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RL331 said:
Install is actually very easy - no sliding involved. If you try to slide, then guaranteed you will miss at least one of the snaps.
A little difficult but not terrible. Still I think youre idea below is good...

Slide the trim into the dash, stick the knobs on the actual trim piece and with then on, push into the holes and they will snap!
Never thought of that. We'll call that Technique 3 :lol: :lol: :lol: O.K I'll shut up now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.