Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. I know its not with the add/remove programs section. So how do you remove it?

Thanks to anyone that can help.
Craigtheman :b5:

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
If you have run the updates for XP go into the add remove programs, click on the icon for Windows Programs and you should find messenger in there. You can deselect it and it should uninstall.

Also check your services to make sure the messenger service is disabled so you don't get those lame ass popups on your desktop.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
craigtheman said:
The title says it all. I know its not with the add/remove programs section. So how do you remove it?

It's a Windows XP component, look on the left hand side under Add/Remove Windows Components - click that (big button) - wait a sec. - drop to the bottom of the list and Next your way through. I "think" it's integrated with MS Outlook though - I think it tells you that (I would double check first) - I could be all wrong on that since I use Lotus Notes for e-mail and not Outlook.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
craigtheman said:

are you talking about the service, that is like auto, manual,disabled?

the popups that come from being on the net and getting spammed?

or another 'messenger'?

·
Registered
341 Posts
linux-works said:
craigtheman said:

are you talking about the service, that is like auto, manual,disabled?

the popups that come from being on the net and getting spammed?

or another 'messenger'?
Yea, please clarify which messenger you are talking about. There's 2 different messengers in Windows, 1 associated with outlook and instant messaging and then their is the messenger service like linux-works is talking about that is a whole different ball game.

To disable the second one go to RUN...... then type "services.msc" with-out the quotes. You'll pull up a list of services that are on your machine(this is for XP by the way, not sure if the list is the same for other OS's) You'll see Messenger and the following description "Transmits net send and Alerter service messages between clients and servers. This service is not related to Windows Messenger. If this service is stopped, Alerter messages will not be transmitted. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start."

You don't need this service so right click it, choose properties and change the start up type to "disabled". Unless your are communicating back and forth on a network this service is not necessary.

A lot of these services can be disabled, check out http://www.blackviper.com/, he's got a great write up on what you can disable if your running 2000 or XP. Definitely worth a look if like fine tuning your rig.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
9 Participants
julianfang
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing