Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

How do you park (Auto Tranny's go away - "P" doesn't count)

2K views 32 replies 29 participants last post by  Sharky 
#1 ·
Neutral or 1st? Just got curious to see what everyone's preference is.

On a hill I'll throw it in gear for the added safety, but as long as it's flat I'll just leave it in neutral and whip up the E-brake.

#5 ·
neutral and e brake... I hate it when my father drives b/c he leaves in gear setting me up for it to hop when I come off the clutch after starting.

#10 ·
E-Brake + 1st or Reverse, depending on if the car is facing up or downhill.

Started doing this after the ebrake cable in my 92 civic snapped and the car rolled backwards. Thankfully my wheels were turned and it stopped at the curb. Of course 1st/reverse won't help if its not a gentle slope, but if you do it all the time it become automatic.

Now if car makers would stop putting e-brakes on the floor as a pedal, I'd be happy. Drove for ~5 min with the e-brake on in a Chrysler minivan as there was no warning in the cluster and I didn't think to check the floor until I smelled something a bit off. (Thought the van was just naturally sluggish)

#14 ·
In my garage, just 1st gear. Anywhere else, 1st plus a couple clicks on handbrake (or lots of clicks on a hill).

My Mk3 golf didn't have the mandatory clutch press in order to start the engine. I used to be a neutral guy, handbrake only. Until one day the dealership service guy left it in gear, I started it up and the car lurches forward nearly 2 feet, missing the bumper of a 911 Cabriolet by less than 3" before dying. I learned from that point that most people DO put the car in gear. Never forgot that :thumbup:

#17 ·
I've had a car slip out of 2nd gear on a hill before while unattended (handbrake slipped, then gear slipped). Luckily my friend's full-size pickup kept the car from sliding down the hill...whew!

But I've never seen a car slip out of 1st or Reverse.

#20 ·
1st gear only on a flat surface. if on a hill, I'll use the e-brake. I also turn the wheels all the way to the right on a hill as well, so if it starts rolling (for whatever reason), it'll roll into the curb and stop (hopefully).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.