Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So theres this guy i know, he goes to the same school as me. the typical teenage subaru driver, 2.5 non turbo, automatic, VT boost stickers and New England subaru stickers, fart-can etc. I feel like i need to let him know that its not a healthy lifestyle to be a ricer. How should i go about this?

Anyways, a friend of mine asked him if he should get a VW or a subaru, and he replies, "anything a VW can do, a subaru can do better". I feel like i need to tell him that my 1.8t wagon will shit on his subi. any thoughts?

·
Registered
207 Posts
best advice is to stay out of it, the people who do up their cars like rice usually enjoy it..

if he was a close friend you might be able to subtly convince him over time, if he's not close, don't worry about it. go on your merry way

potato - patato
tomato - tamato

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
2.5 non turbo, automatic, VT boost stickers and New England Subaru stickers, fart-can etc.
That's a "Poser".

poser:

1.One who pretends to be someone whose not.
2. Who tries to fit in but with exaggeration.

Sort of like putting W8 4Motion badges on a 1.8t GL. :crazy:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Guy around the corner from me has something like a 96 civic with a 3" wide hood scoop and stick on "vent" decals.

Makes me cringe every time I see it. I cannot stand seeing riced civics or subarus. Why does a 4-banger need hood scoops? Subies have them stock non-the-less. I don't understand it. ("Vat does dis do??")
When I went on a trip to Florida I saw more cars with aftermarket mods (both good and bad) in a parking lot than I've seen in Canada. It seems to me that the Floridians have moved on from the 97 civic stage and dumped them all in Canada. Half of them are rusted inside out but the owners still buy spoilers and unpainted body kits for them.
I also found VWs a little more rare in Florida too.
/rant

·
Registered
254 Posts
i say hey if that's the look he wants, fine. we lower our cars and mod em up, i get weird looks also sometimes.. he'll eventually grow tired of it and go to something else. being cool and helping out with tasty mods doesn't hurt unless it becomes confrontational? i have smoked headlights and people call me a "ricer" sometimes... whatevs..

·
Registered
910 Posts
It's how people go over the top that makes me wonder. Modding is possible and can enhance a car if done right, and I have to say that 99% of the Passats I've seen do have it right because people think about what they are doing.

The Barryboys link I posted above however shows many, many examples where people get it so very wrong.

In the UK, normally small underpowered cars, some even with base model 1.0 litre engines, are plastered with heavy bodykits, book-shelf spoilers and urinal shaped intakes then festoon them with a shopping list of custom brands (half of which don't even relate to items that exist on the car) which do not suit the car. Then some go further, mutating them with headlights that obviously belong on another car. Then there are those who think that painting their drum brakes look "cewel-innit"

Then there's the attitude thing. Most barry's or chav chariots normally can be seen croozin'. When I say croozin' I mean they think they're starring in the Fast and the Furious - which usually only means doing laps round a Maccy D's car cark. On the open road, they think there's being clever if they can pass a line of traffic when no-one else will - because they're doing it on a blind bend, or if they're going through red lights, cutting others up - essentially deliberately driving aggressively to look noticed for the wrong reasons.:crazy:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Live and let live. You like steak, or bratwurst, some like raw fish wrapped in seaweed. Not worth trying to bring sizzle to his sushi.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The way I've handled most ricers is simple: Let them be. When it's time for them to "throw down or get thrown out", the majority wimp out. The rest get shown the fools they are.

I've blown off "pimped out" Honda Civics with stock American cars: A 1993 Saturn SL2 Manual and a 2000 Ford ZX2 manual.

My favorite "ricer race" thus far: Some dumbass in a late 90s Chevy Cavalier Z24 vs. my old 1995 Nissan Maxima SE 5-speed. I mean, really? LOL.

Thank God I've outgrown it though. Being almost 35, married, and 3 kids does that to you.

Best bet to tame a ricer (for me): Have him meet me on a track. I drive professionally for a living, as also does my wife. All the extra HP and mods won't mean sh*t if he doesn't know how to shift properly, corner properly, brake properly, etc.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I've got a friend that I shoot pool with who's a master mechanic for Lexus. He absolutely hates anything that's not a Toyota product, but then he's been employed by them for the past couple of decades. You can imagine his reaction when I told him that the car I ended up getting for the wife was a 2005 Audi A6 (it replaced her '98 Passat several years ago; I've still got my '99 1.8T 5-spd). I don't know if this qualifies him as a "ricer" but he's definitely pro-Japanese. I keep trying to tell him that Toyotas and Lexus automobiles are great cars and extremely reliable if that's what you're looking for in a car. However, if you want something that's designed for serious drivers with a higher level of performance, you can't beat German cars. So far, he has been unable to say anything to dispute that claim.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I won't put a sticker on my car that isn't from a paying sponsor.

Hence, my car has no stickers on it. :D

Why advertise something you had to pay for.

AJ

1 - 20 of 40 Posts