Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, my B5 '98 has got 150k miles on it and the clock and odometer displays doesn't show any digits. It's been like that for a while and the explanation from my godfather was something like "I had this tech-savy guy help me fix the instrument cluster due to the ABS and SRS lights flashing and it worked except for the fact that the odometer wouldn't work anymore". Does anyone know what these screens are called and where to find them? Every search result just points me to the big one in the middle, but that's not the one I need.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The clock and odometer displays are very reliable--I've never seen one fail. (The red one in the middle almost always fades in the heat.) They're LCD, for liquid crystal display.

Since both of those displays are dead, it's more likely something has failed on the cluster circuit board, likely a small power supply. The 1998 Passats (in the US, at least) did not have immobilizer, so you might be able to just swap in a used cluster. Someone else here may have a better idea.

There is someone in the US that repairs clusters, but it looks like you're in Europe, so you'd need to find someone there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys, I'm back. Buying a new cluster would of course be an option, but it is a rather expensive one for a 300 dollar car. I would rather replace a small faulty component than switching an entire cluster. On the other hand, as Fresco points out, it might be the circuit board. Thing is that the immobilizer is incorporated in the circuit board so if I replaced it, I would have to re-code the keys aswell and that is too much effort and money on this car. I know what this sounds like and I was aware of the possibility that it wouldn't exist some cheap quick fix. Thank you anyways!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts