Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered my chip so I think I'll put some new plugs in as well. Last time I put new plugs in, I had to use a pair of pliers to gap the plugs(triple tipped densos). Those are stought little suckers. I finally did get all of them gapped perfectly and the car has ran great ever since. But, before I do it again, I was wondering if there was a better way to do it. So, how do YOU guys gap yours???

Jonathan

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I use the round spark plug gappers with the little wire loops. These come with a kind of H-shaped piece of sheet metal mounted to them that bends the electrodes just great. I like the wire-loop gappers much better than the ones where a single sheet of metal gradually gets thicker as you go around. You should be able to get a wire-loop gapper pretty much anywhere... sears, pep boys, etc.

It is a lot less crude than a pair of pliers.

SirWired

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh. I thought those were just to measure the gap. I didn't think they were strong enough to actually bend the electodes. Thanks,

Jonathan

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I tried the disc thing from Autozone the first time. The metal on the electrodes was stronger than the disc and it started bending it. That's why I thought the tool was only for measuring and not actually bending. Crap, I was breaking a sweat doing it with the pliers. :)

Jonathan

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Never regap platinum plugs. I got the Denso plugs with the 3 electrodes on it..and my car runs great. I have 5,500 miles on them no problems.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
i got a snap on plug gap tool :thumbup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys. My stupid ass was trying to gap the triple tipped densos. :crazy: Crap, it worked last time. But this time I thought about it and just put 'em in right out of the box. They work just fine(so far). I've got my DV on order now and can't wait to put it in.

Jonathan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
jjasper13
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing