Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 ea. 99 Passats, Wagon and Sedan, both with the 1.8T engine. One has 53K and the other has 57K miles. Therefore, I think a timing belt change is in the near future. ECS Tuning sells a timing belt kit.

Is there a DIY tutorial with pictures anywhere for doing this job.

I did a search but could not find anything here or on clubb5.com.

I also have a TT that will need the same in about 15K miles.

Please let me know. Thx, John

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Check the info forum.

First two steps of 8 - 10 hours of work:
Step 1: Remove front bumper.
Step 2: Place radiator in service postion.

Good luck!

·
Registered
121 Posts
As rpaller said, there is a write up in the Information forum. It's a good one, with many pictures and tips. Also, get the Haynes manual. Others who have done the timing belt work report that the Haynes manual is a big help. Lastly, do another search. This topic comes up so much here that I'm surprised you didn't get over 50 hits on your search! Maybe you just need to refine your search parameters. I'll be doing the timing belt change on my V6 in a couple of weeks and have been compiling info and parts for awhile. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
dublife said:
Step 1. Bring it to someone who really knows what they are doing.
Step 2. Pay them to do it.
Why?

You can save so much doing it yourself, granted you need to give up one day of your life, but hey, if it saves you a few hundred bucks it's worth it.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
gietl said:
dublife said:
Why?

You can save so much doing it yourself, granted you need to give up one day of your life, but hey, if it saves you a few hundred bucks it's worth it.
the main reason is becuae if you f it up your out a few K so you just threw all the money you saved out the window times about 20

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
im not saying dont do it

i want to do my own

what i am saying is the savings /risk cost are not as good as say changing a coolant sensor or something like that

you have a lot to lose

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
gietl said:
dublife said:
Why?

In addition to worrying that you get it right, you should think about the value of your time. I really should have my brother explain it (he is an economist) but basically think about how much you make per hour as opposed to paying someone. I know you might think "well I don't work on Saturdays" but your time is still your time. If you had other things to do that weekend you would have to take a vacation/sick day from work to make up that Saturday lost.

Me, when the time comes (in another ~54,500 miles) I will bring the parts to the dealership and have them do it while I am at work. They will give me a loaner car while they do it, and I will probably make more in that day than I will end up paying them. So I'm still ahead, and haven't wasted my time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
quote]In addition to worrying that you get it right, you should think about the value of your time. I really should have my brother explain it (he is an economist) but basically think about how much you make per hour as opposed to paying someone. I know you might think "well I don't work on Saturdays" but your time is still your time. If you had other things to do that weekend you would have to take a vacation/sick day from work to make up that Saturday lost.

Me, when the time comes (in another ~54,500 miles) I will bring the parts to the dealership and have them do it while I am at work. They will give me a loaner car while they do it, and I will probably make more in that day than I will end up paying them. So I'm still ahead, and haven't wasted my time.[/quote]

While that's true, I would argue that time is not the only commodity in play here. For me (this doesn't apply to everyone of course) the value in doing the repair myself is not just saved money but the fun and pleasure in doing it in the first place (even if I screw it up). That enjoyment is very much worth the time in my case. It gets down to what one values I suppose.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
The only reason I said what I did was that if you take it to someone and have them do it, they are liable if something messes up. I am somewhat mechanicly inclined, I can do a lot by myself including suspension, FMIC, exaust, etc., but when its something that can cost me thousands if I happen to mess one little thing up......Id rather have someone else liable. There is a lot of work involved with this "DIY" job.
If yall feel comfortable with that responsibility, more power to ya! Im not saying it "shouldnt" be done, but just not for me.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
:) Fair enough.

I agree that it would be someone elses liability for a year, but then any failure after that is your problem anyway.

I will admit the 6 done here at once was an mazing thing to witness, with that there were checks and balances as everyone stepped through at the same time so if there was a gotcha that someone hit first they could tell the people getting close to that point how to avoid the problem or how to get through it.

All in all, the timing belt replacement while labor intensive, is a very doable DIY job. There is always the natural fear that you will destroy your engine, and if your gut tells you that is the future of that project, I say go with your gut. ;)

However, saving all that hard earned cash while getting to be intimate with your car is just awesome.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey gietl: what were some of the common problems or road blocks that you all ran into? Do you have any sage advice for those of us who'll be doing timing belt jobs in the future?? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
dublife said:
dublife- :p (nothing personal, I just felt like jumping on the dogpile!) :poke:

nasttcar- Here's the link to the writeup (assuming the pictures are loading okay today): http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60301

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DaddyMatt -
Great write-up - I just did my first read through.

You kept saying "check timing marks", so it made me wonder if you had gotten this wrong one time or another.

I need to get the front bumper off of one of the Passats and replace with an RS4 bumper, so doing the timing belt at that time should work out well, although that Passat only has 53K on it.

What price had you been quoted on timing belt replacement? I thought these replacements were running over $1k at the dealers.

My dealer just quoted me $950ea. to replace rotors and pads, and full brake fluid flush for each of the Passats and a Cabrio. I did these myself for $250 per car. I know a brake job has got to be alot easier than a timing belt changeout.

I need a great write-up for doing the same on a TT.

Did the Haynes have as good a writeup as you did for the Passat?

Finally, thank you again for such an incredible write-up on this.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
jhawk said:
Hey gietl: what were some of the common problems or road blocks that you all ran into? Do you have any sage advice for those of us who'll be doing timing belt jobs in the future?? Thanks.
Check out the link DaddyMatt posted a few up above this one, that should give you all the details. Again, I witnessed this pure art of a mass timing belt change, so I don't recall the exact details, however, there was some serious team work going on.

You could PM ColoradoB5 or Chas to get some more details about the little hiccups they encountered.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
While that's true, I would argue that time is not the only commodity in play here. For me (this doesn't apply to everyone of course) the value in doing the repair myself is not just saved money but the fun and pleasure in doing it in the first place (even if I screw it up). That enjoyment is very much worth the time in my case. It gets down to what one values I suppose.
I understand where you are coming from. I've never been very mechanically inclined, so I enjoy driving more than working on the car. I guess it could be (loosely) compared to why I build my own PC instead of paying Dell.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
12 Participants
DaddyMatt
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing