Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready next weekend(hopefully if everything arrives) doing a TBwater pump etc. Buying a kit from blauparts. It comes with front camshaft seals. How do you change them? BTW it is a 2004 GLX sedan with a V6

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hope you have cam lock tool and crank lock tool, and a good repair manual like a bentleys, must have for this job , if you are lifting or pulling cams to install seals I would install new cam chain tensioner wear pads, the lower ones are known to fail( and you can't visually inspected unless you pull it out because it's buried in the cylinder head) with high miles, some members had them last long time others not so much , they are cheap and easy to install.

·
Registered
976 Posts
once you remove the cam gear, drill two small holes into the seal. Then screw wood screws into the small holes. Use those screws to pull the seal with pliers.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
With the V6, since you need to remove the cam sprockets anyway, redoing the seals is a no-brainier.

On the 1.8T, the cam gear doesn't have to come off. So it's more of an "if it's leaking" replacement.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
Like Zac says, your in there anyway so swap them out. Blaupart will rent you a tool kit to set the timing. It includes tools to remove replace these seals.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I am with GLInick on this, if not leaking don't replace them unless you have to remove them for another reason.
You are much more likely to cause problems, one guy replaced his about 4 times before he got one to seal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts