Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a pair of Euro Bixenon HIDs from another member here and excitedly mounted them in my B5.5. However the passenger side lamp is skewed within the housing so that it reflects off the bottom of the reflector and creates an upward glare. I'm afraid that it may not safe be for oncoming traffic. I've tried turning both the adjustment knobs near the HID lamp and the one toward the middle near the halogen hi-beam, but it doesn't seem to make much difference (these have 3 adjustment knobs, compared to the 2 that are on the halogen headlight assemblies). How many rotations do you have to turn to make a visible difference? Is there another way? I don't want to take apart my entire front end to get these back out and fiddle with the way its mounted in the housing. (stupid VW engineering :mad:) How does everyone else aim their HIDs?

The Bentley manual doesn't even specific what the knobs are for in the HID assemblies. Its there on the diagram but no label. The only adjustments that it talks about are the auto-levelers, that I clearly do not have on my 1.8T. Are the leveling motors attached to the lamps so that no matter what I do with the knobs, the motors hold it in place?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Is the motor present in the housing? Have you checked to ensure the bulb is mounted correctly and secured? Do any of the adjustment knobs spin or turn freely?

From your description it sounds more like an incorrectly installed bulb versus an aiming issue.

The motors are present to prevent the headlights from shining too high when the vehicle has a substantial load in the rear raising the point of aim. So only slight corrections are made vertically.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
It seems like you have lights for RHD with a cut-off something like \__ LHD is like __/

Some are internally adjustable for RHD or LHD by rotating the projector assembly.
The external adjusters are for up/down and left/right, one turn should be very noticeable and they can be turned several turns.
It is unsafe to drive with lights for the wrong hand drive.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the motor present in the housing? Have you checked to ensure the bulb is mounted correctly and secured? Do any of the adjustment knobs spin or turn freely?

From your description it sounds more like an incorrectly installed bulb versus an aiming issue.
Both bulbs are now mounted securely. Ironically, the drivers side bulb was missing some tabs and loose from shipping, and I was able to diagnosis b/c the passenger side was very secure and tight. Its not the bulb, but the projector lamp itself that seems slightly skewed down. The glare is off of the reflector and not directly from the lamp. I had noticed that the whole projector lamp had a small bit of play inside the headlight assembly before i installed it. It seem to move back and forth where rod for the top adjuster was supposed to connect; either it was loose or the rod wasn't connected. I pushed it into the rod and turned it to do what I thought was threading the rod back in. But if anything that should have pushed it up not down. Now I'm not sure if it was a good idea or bad idea. When I turn the adjustment knobs now, not much seems to happen. I can't see inside to see if it is still connected without taking the headlights out, even then that is a tricky proposition.

Tomvw said:
It seems like you have lights for RHD with a cut-off something like \__ LHD is like __/

Some are internally adjustable for RHD or LHD by rotating the projector assembly.
The external adjusters are for up/down and left/right, one turn should be very noticeable and they can be turned several turns.
It is unsafe to drive with lights for the wrong hand drive.
The cutoff on the passenger side is lower than the drivers side. But the glare also comes from the passenger side. I think it is adjusted too low to the point that it reflects off of itself. These headlights were previously used by another PW member, who presumably had set it to the correct hand drive. I only saw a switch on one lamp, and I believe it was in the down position, which according to Bentley is correct. I will try to check again.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
All the attachment points between the reflector assembly/projector and the adjustment screws and the leveling motor are ball and socket type fitments. They can be snapped back into place with a little finesse. You have to take the bulb out of the high beam position and then line the ball and socket up and then pull back on the reflector assembly until you feel the two pieces snap into place. Be sure to either use a microfiber cloth or latex gloves so as not to smudge the reflector assembly. I've done it myself on my FIL's Passat and it wasn't difficult at all. Just take your time lining things up. You can also remove the other cover on the rear of the headlight assembly to see inside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts